The Second Compromise

This is on the Wilmot Proviso and the Compromise of 1850. And man, am I way to much of a Hamilton fan. Whenever I read the Compromise of 1850, I read it to the tune of the Election of 1800.

Also Oregon County, Wisconsin Territory, Iowa Territory, and Unorganized Territory are the voices in the beginning, before Iowa and Wisconsin become states, and then Minnesota Territory, Utah Territory, and New Mexico Territory join.

United States POV , 1846

"Have you heard the new bill the House had just passed?" DC asked me as she walked into my office.

"If you're talking about the Wilmot Proviso, trust me, I know. I've gotten an earful about it from the slave states." I said, knowing that DC was probably talking about the bill that had been causing me a lot of trouble. DC nodded.

"How have the slave states taken it?" She asked. I snorted.

'How do you think? Badly'

'They take most anti-slavery things that way.'

'And the north takes pro-slavery things that way. Everyone is dramatic.'

"You know how they are. Stubborn as hell and untrusting of me to handle anything involving slavery. They're too afraid the Wilmot Proviso will pass." I said. DC nodded.

"I didn't expect anything else. Why is Congress focusing on the Wilmot Proviso when we should be focusing on this war that's been started with Mexico. No use in focusing on what might happen if we win if we don't focus on trying to win." DC said, pressing her hand to her forehead. I sighed.

"It's not like Congress controls our soldiers. But figuring out the answer to the question of slavery in any new land we acquire is important. Especially to the southern states." I said.

"It is...speaking of land we acquire, how's California?" DC asked.

"Alive, for some reason. Don't ask me why. We don't know. Texas is excited to have a biological sister who hates his mother just as much as she does." I said. DC nodded.

'Ah, sibling bonding. Always more effective when you're bonding over someone you hate.'

'And that's probably why the older states are closer to each other.'

'Not probably, definitely.'

"That's nice. I hope California doesn't die after the war's end. It seems like everyone's gotten attached." DC remarked. I nodded.

'California dying would be awful.'

'Yeah I like her.'

"Yes. California's death would be upsetting to a lot of states. But that's a conversation for another time, and not something I want to think about at the moment." I said, pushing aside thoughts of California dying.

"Fair enough. I'll keep an eye on the Wilmot Proviso for you while you deal with state drama and the war with Mexico." DC said. I smiled.

"Thanks Dee."

————————————————————

1847

"The Wilmot Proviso is back in the House." DC told me, causing me to groan.

"Don't tell the southern states." I said before I heard a scream from somewhere.

"WHY IS THAT ANTI-SLAVERY BILL BACK?" I heard South Carolina ask via scream.

"WHY IS IT BANNING SLAVERY IN ALL TERRITORIES NOW?" Tennessee ask as well, also screaming. I'm guessing they wanted to make sure I could hear them.

'I don't think we need to worry about them finding out.'