A Terrorist Or A Martyr?

Virginia's POV
October 17, 1859

Why did it always seem to be me? Why did so many major slave revolts seem to take place in my state?

And this one seemed more severe than the others. The insurrectionists, the raiders, had taken control of a federal arsenal in Harpers Ferry last night. Unfortunately, word had only arrived after the armory had fallen, which meant that the raiders had time to bunker down and take hostages.

It was shaping up to be a proper disaster.

The townspeople had been doing their best to chase off the raiders, but they, unfortunately failed, and fighting was still going on when I arrived with the local militia. The militia and I were quick to seal off any escape routes the raiders could use, and were now besieging them, hoping to break in and attack them.

Although, thankfully we had some success, as we were able to capture and kill several of the raiders, many of them during escape attempts. And luckily, we have managed to come out of this with significantly less deaths, with only one casualty, as opposed to the raiders five.

But still, there was a lot of work remaining to be done. Starting with getting the raider out of the armory. We needed to assault it, and the US Rifle Works had also been taken over.

Luckily, a civilian force was planning on doing just that, and I would be joining them. I wanted to be a part in ending this revolt. I needed to be. I pretended like I didn't hear the whispers. The doubts people circled about my place in my government due to my gender. The people who stopped me from fighting because they thought they knew best.

I hated it. I hated it so much. Father always defended DC from that kind of verbal assault, but never me. What did precious little District of Columbia have that I didn't?

I blinked, swallowing down the emotions. They would do me no good here. Regardless of what they thought, regardless of what they said, I would prove them wrong.

It was 2:00pm, and I was going to take back that damned Rifle Works.

Then they would all see! They had to see.

I was the Commonwealth of Virginia. I was a lady, but I was also a soldier, and a politician, and everything they said I can't be. After all, if men can do it, it's not that hard. I went to tie back my hair, before picking up my gun.

"Are you sure you should be doing this Virginia. I mean you ar-"

"I am the Commonwealth of Virginia. I cannot be killed by humans. You have no need to worry about me. I am older than you, and your father, and your grandfather. I can handle myself far better than you can." I said. The human backed away.

"Alright, if you're sure then." He said, sounding hesitant.

"I am. Now how about you go prepare for the assault, instead of wasting both of our time. We have traitors to catch and hostages to save." I said. The man quickly scurried away.

Yes, Father wouldn't save me from the taunts. But I couldn't handle myself. I didn't need him to protect me like he protects sweet, innocent District of Columbia.

"The assault will begin soon." Someone announced. I smiled, checking to make sure that my gun was fully loaded.

Time to show the revolters what a girl like me could do.

The crowd and I began moving forwards, storming towards the building we planned to take. I had my gun raised, ready to shoot any raiders that I saw. I heard a gunshot go off, and looked to see that one of the men had killed a slave that was with the group, maybe one that belonged to the two gentlemen that had been captured.

Served that bastard right for betraying his master and his country and siding with a bunch of abolitionist traitors. Wonder how many more of those bastards we would have to kill.

"The mayor's been shot!" Someone yelled. I froze. Mayor Beckham had been shot? What was he even doing here? Enraged, I swung my gun to face the first traitor I saw, and fired. The traitor fell, and hopefully was dead.

"Ungrateful and traitorous abolitionists." I hissed out. I would make them all play for this, make them face the death penalty for this crime.

My state was not a place for traitors, nor was it a place for terrorist to try and play "hero" because they though that slavery was wrong, that it was inhumane or some nonsense. The slaves liked being enslaved, God made them that way.

Why wouldn't any of those damned abolitionists see it that way? Why were they so set on going against the word of God, so set on trying to rip my family apart by trying to convince my siblings and Father that the natural order of things was wrong?

It was all so stupid, and it always led us back to this, to violence. If only someone could make those abolitionists understand.

If only......

At least the militia was preparing to take back the armory and the hostages. Then this awful battle would be over, and hopefully with no more civilian or militia casualties.

But still, how much violence will be caused by the abolitionists in the future? How much further would they go?

When will they see that things are the way they were always meant to be?

God made slaves and he made them to like being enslaved. It was their destiny, just like it was my destiny, the destiny of all white people to own them.

Anyone who said otherwise was just wrong, uneducated, and just plain stupid. It's a wonder the abolitionists had support in the first place. Who would support a bunch of terrorists, or at the very least, terrorists in the making?

Hopefully more could be done to stop them, before anymore major violence breaks out.

Although hope can only get you so far.

Alabama's POV
March 7, 1860

"Ana! I have news for you! Come here!"  I called over to my sister. Louisiana smiled over at me, before finishing up her conversation with DC and walking over to me.

"What is it Bama?" She asked. I smiled, wrapping an arm around her shoulder, and guiding her out of the room, dropping my voice to a whisper.

"Didja hear about the bet made between one of my people and yours?" I asked her. Louisiana shook her head.

"Non, I haven't. What's this about Bama?" She asked, suspicion in her voice. I smiled.

"Well, one of my people thinks he can smuggle some new slaves in from Dahomey, and he made a bet with someone form New Orleans. The ship left yesterday." I told her. Louisiana's eyes widened.

"That's a risky move." She said. I shrugged.

"Please, we both know that Pa can't stop every ship and search them. Besides, you know how York is involved with some slave smuggling? Or he was at least. Point is that he says it's not that hard if you know what you're doing." I explained.

"Ah, right, I forgot York used to be involved with that. You sure he won't tell Dee about what's your people are doing?" Louisiana asked.

"Not unless he wants to get in trouble for his own smuggling involvement. Besides, I didn't tell him who, so York doesn't know much anyways." I explained. Louisiana nodded.

"Smart move little brother. But...why tell me about this?" She asked. I smirked.

"Well Ana, do you want to make a bet?"