The First Compromise

The voices in this chapter are the Territories of Missouri and Arkansas, along with the Unorganized territory.

United States' POV

"We can't let another slave state into the Union! If Missouri is going to become a state, it needs restrictions on slavery!" James Tallmadge Jr., a senator from New York argued. I sighed.

'Or he needs slavery because Missouri relies heavily on it.'

This was the same argument as always. Slavery or not. Ever since the slave trade was banned and states started banning slavery, things have gotten more tense between the states, and not just on a political scale. This issue had to be resolved, which meant that the two sides needed to stop being stubborn.

And if I knew my people that was never going to happen. They didn't know how to back down. It was a great quality in certain situations. And this wasn't one of those situations. Why did everything always have to be so divided?

"If we do that, then the free states will gain a majority in Congress. I refuse to let that happen." A senator from Mississippi argued.

'I agree. There must be a balance.'

"If Missouri's a slave state then we'll have the same situation!" A senator from Massachusetts argued back. I sighed. Both sides raised a fair point. Keeping balance between the free and slave states was important. Without balance the argument over slavery was just going to get worse.

Congress continued to argue as DC and I tried to meditate the argument. I was glad that the states had decided to keep out of this meeting. The arguing was bad enough and they didn't need to make it worse. After a another hour of back and forth arguing Congress ended for the day and me and DC got ready to leave.

"I swear the Senate can be worse than my siblings." DC muttered as she walked out of the room, her face, a dulled version of my flag, alight with frustration. I smiled and laughed.

"They're just stubborn. We'll come to a solution eventually. Besides, I prefer the arguing. It shows people care about what happens in the government." I told her. It was better when they got a voice. I didn't want to be like British Empire, and smother their voices.

'Trust their voices and trust ours. We are you, and will help you.'

'Just make Missouri a slave state and get this mess over with.'

"You may prefer it, but by god can it be annoying. At least the states listen to me. The senators always look down on me because I'm female." DC said. I sighed.

'D's more capable than every Senator there. They're all just idiots.'

Unfortunately, DC was right. While DC had been working with Congress since her birth, the Congressmen didn't always take her opinion into account, due to her gender.  It makes me wish she had been born a man. The she would get the respect she'd deserves during Congress meetings. DC and I made our back to our home in the countryhumans. We walked into our house still discussing ways to allow for Missouri's statehood.

"Is Missouri a state yet?" Tennessee asked from where she was sitting with the newest state, Alabama. Both of their faces were their state seals. I shook my head, causing Tennessee to sigh.

'I wish. This is taking forever can't they just come to a decision already?'

'I wish Congress worked that way, but you know it doesn't.'

"Seriously? Can't they just admit Missouri so we can be done with this whole thing. A free state will be admitted eventually. The balance won't be off for that long." South Carolina said, his face showing his seal. I always found it odd that the states got their seals instead of a dulled version of my flag, but I certainly was glad for it.