Attack on the Fort

America's POV
March 4, 1861

President Lincoln was a breath of fresh air compared to the inaction of President Buchanan. He understood that we had to take action against the secessionist traitors, but he also understood that reconciliation and peaceful actions were the best at making sure this situation didn't get out of control.

He also tried to explain to the South that he was not interested in taking their slaves away, but knowing my children, they were most likely ignoring him in favor of hearing the things they wanted to hear and taking an attack on the expansion of slavery as an attack on them.

Hopefully once they matured they would grow out of that habit.

Until then I was stuck making sure that they weren't interpreting laws or policies that were made to benefit the whole nation as a personal attack. It was harder than it looked, especially since the North could be just as bad.

"You look worried." I heard President Lincoln say from behind me.

"What gave that away? The look on my face or the fact that my nation is falling apart?" I asked, pushing aside the thoughts of how my father was reacting to this. I had promised myself that I wouldn't think about his reaction to my politics because it made me feel stupid.

"They'll come back. I'll make sure of it. I promise you, United States of America, that I will do everything in my power to keep you in one piece." President Lincoln said. I smiled.

"Thank you Mr. President. That's a relief to hear." I said.

"What do you think are the reasons behind why your children supported this plot?" President Lincoln asked. I sighed.

"They've convinced themselves they are victims because of new anti-slavery sentiments. That in some weird way this is taking away their rights, like I'm supposed to cater to their needs. Slavery isn't needed in the new territories, and most of them voted against it. After all they did to Kansas, do they really think they are innocent?" I said, thinking back to my youngest child, my child who still seemed to hold memories of the pains and bloodshed from her land.

We're supposed to be a democracy. They didn't need to try and sway the vote. None of that violence should have happened. But it did, because of them. Why did they think they were-

I cut myself off as I realized something.

That wasn't a good sign. It was getting too long. Thank god the rest of the South was still here to keep me in check.

I exhaled a shaky breath. Ponder than frankly terrifying piece of information later. Figure out a solution now.

"Do you know of anything that could change their minds? If we are able to do that, maybe they can convince their politicians to change their minds as well." President Lincoln asked. I shook my head.

"No, I don't think words alone will change their minds. My family is stubborn, and for better and for worse, we are a family of action takers. And I fear I didn't set a good example in my own war against my father. Although, I would like to think I was more hesitant in action then they are. It would almost be amusing, how the states least eager for independence then are the most eager for independence now, if it wasn't giving me such a headache, among other pains." I said. President Lincoln looked concerned at that.

"What do you mean America?" He asked. I bit my lip, thinking of how I could describe that feeling in a way that would make sense to humans.

"This will sound weird in human terms, but I am made up of my children, and it might not look this way, but I can feel them trying to leave, and with the creation of that fake nation, the empty place where they should be grows larger. It makes me feel...different. Like a copy of the original." I said, knowing that I portably wasn't making much sense. President Lincoln gave me a small smile.