"Huh..." Diana pursed her lips together. "I guess I never really thought about what I wanted to do after graduating. I mean, my mother wanted me to work in the same department as my father at the Ministry, but seeing as I didn't pick Arithmancy as one of my classes, that's not gonna happen."

"Well, I think you should really consider it." Regulus shrugged as she heard him with wonder. "Honestly. Professor Sprout had been explaining this for two weeks, but you explained it to me in twenty minutes and I actually learnt it."

"He's right, you now." Layla nodded keenly, smirking. "I mean, I wouldn't have suggested it two years ago, because you basically hated everyone back then. But now that you're actually nicer for a change... I don't know. I think becoming a professor suits you."

"Wow. Thanks," Diana said sarcastically, giving her a look. But she then shook her head, returning back to the thought. "But what would I even teach? It's not like I'm any good at Charms or Transfigurations when it comes to performing spell. And there's no way I would ever teach Defense Against the Dark Arts. There are rumors that the job is jinxed."

"There's always History of Magic and Ancient Runes," said Layla. "You're really good at both of them, and they don't really require wand work."

"I don't know..." Diana muttered unsurely. "The spot isn't really empty for me. Professor Kumar is too young to be retiring anytime soon, and Professor Binns is a ghost. It's not like he's got anything better to do. Besides, I don't th —"

Diana broke off in the middle of her sentence as she saw two owls flying toward the Slytherin table. As the birds reached them, they dropped two purple envelopes from their beaks, landing exactly in front of Layla and Regulus.

"Ugh, great. Another Slug Club invitation," Regulus said bitterly, reaching out for his own letter and opening it. "It's for tomorrow night."

"It's Slughorn's Christmas party this time," said Layla, her grin widening. "I like them. He always serves booze."

"But we're always supposed to take someone with us!" Regulus complained gloomily. "Last year I took a Hufflepuff girl with me and she cried just because I wouldn't dance with her."

"I was there last year and that is so not what happened!" Layla retorted. "You wouldn't even look at the poor girl the whole night and acted all bored, and at some point you even told her that you thought she looked ugly!"

"I never said that! I just said that I didn't like her dress!"

"Same thing!"

"It was made of feathers! What would you have done?"

"You don't go telling a girl or any person you're on a date with that you don't like the way they look, Reg! She started crying, and then you left the freaking party! You're supposed to react when someone cries! Not just leave!"

"I did react! I rolled my eyes!"

Layla closed her eyes and sighed in disappointment, pinching the bridge of her nose. "You're a lost cause."

"So, anyway," Diana began awkwardly, trying to change the subject, "who are you two taking to Slughorn's Christmas party this year?"

"I actually had an idea," said Layla. "I thought that maybe I could ask Lupin to come with me, and Regulus takes you, so that way you and Lupin can come to the party together."

"Oh... um..." Diana paused, surprised at the sudden suggestion. "He can't come tomorrow night."

"Why not?" Layla mused.

Tomorrow was a full moon, just as Remus had told her. Diana couldn't possibly tell anyone about it, as he had asked. But thanks to her parents, she had become a practiced liar throughout the years.

"He's promised to hang out with his friends. I can't just ask him to spend all his time with me and forget all about his friends. That would be selfish of me," Diana answered casually. "Besides, you know me. I don't like those kinds of gatherings. It would bore the hell out of me."

"Fine. Your loss." Layla shrugged, grinning. "Then Regulus and I will go together."

"We will?" Regulus raised his head from his book with a grimace. "But I don't want to go with you! You're older than me. It's weird."

Layla gave him a look. "No. What's weird is that you still haven't managed to drop that attitude."

"I don't think there's anything wrong with his attitude," Diana said defensively and Regulus nodded.

"That's because you two share the same attitude!" Layla retorted.

"Damn right, we do." Diana grinned proudly, high-fiving him.

Layla sighed, packing her bag and raising up to depart as she glared at them. "I don't even know why I'm still friends with you two idiots." And with that, she stormed out of the Great Hall.

Diana and Regulus sat there in silence, watching her leave.

"Should we go after her?" Regulus asked with concern, but Diana shook a hand at him.

"Nah. She's stuck with us. She adopted us, remember? She'll be back," said Diana, opening her book again. "Okay, so where were we?"