Chapter 117

***

***

Layla walked up the dungeons and toward the entrance hall, in her long pink dress and a cloak that she wore over it. The entrance hall was empty of people and its door was closed, though the winter air had crept inside like a thief, making the air around her rather cold.

    Layla wished she had her watch with her so she could check the time, but all was forgotten when she heard footsteps approaching her, growing louder with each step.

     Layla looked up, her heart fluttering when she saw Marlene walking down the stairs and into the entrance hall. She was wearing a red top with Bell-Bottom pants, and her straight blonde hair fell down to her back casually, though she was wearing a golden headband.

     "Hey." Marlene smiled at her nervously. "Sorry, am I late? I was trying to find something to wear but I literary had nothing! I'm not exactly the dress kind of girl, so I tried to dig out something else. I feel like I look ridiculous in this, though. Is the headband too much? I feel like it's too much. My roommate, Jenna, lent it to me. She's really into Muggle fashion trends. It looks good on her, so I thought it might look good on me too. But turns out it doesn't, and now I'm just —"

     "Merlin's beard! Relax!" Layla laughed, cutting her rapid talking off. She then gave her a smile. "Trust me. You look amazing."

     Marlene's cheeks turned pink as she tried to return the smile. "Thanks. But I don't think anyone will think I'll look amazing as long as I'm standing next to you, though. I mean — look at you! Yowza!"

     Layla couldn't help but to laugh again. "Thank you, Marlene."

     They stood before one another as silence took over, their eyes locked together, two smiley faces brightened by the warm torch lights on the walls.

     "So," Layla cleared her throat after a moment longer, "shall we go?"

     "Oh, hell yeah! I'm freaking starving!" Marlene clapped her hands together. Although her smile dropped worriedly for a second. "There is food at the party, though, right?"

     Layla giggled. "Yes, there is."

     Marlene let out a sigh in relief. "Oh, thank goodness. Otherwise what was even the point of going?"

***

After Diana had given the potion bottle to Layla and left her alone in the dorm to get ready, she walked out of the Slytherin common room so she could talk to Remus, who was supposed to be waiting for her outside.

    When Diana entered the dungeons, however, her heart sank in her chest when she saw that Remus was nowhere to be seen. Horrifying thoughts made their way through her head. Had Avery and Mulciber seen him here? Did they hurt him under Evan Rosier's orders for still being with Diana?