Chapter 77

The moment was short, but to Diana it lasted like an eternity. His lips were warm and soft, almost silken, against hers, and she could feel the thud of their combined heartbeats as she kissed him back.

      It had lasted merely for a few seconds, but when they pulled away, Diana was already flushed in the face and out of breath from the excitement of the igniting moment.

     Remus didn't remove his hands from her cheeks, his eyes gazing into hers. At last, he lowered his arms to wrap them around her waist and bring her closer to him, until her chest was pressed up against his. As she wrapped her hands around his neck, he leaned down and rested his forehead upon hers, his cheeks still red and blushed as a goofy smile played on his lips.

     "Too bad we can't be arch enemies anymore. I'll miss it," Remus said with a little playful grin, the smell of her perfume and the peachy scent of her hair making him dizzy.

Diana chuckled, going on tiptoes to peck him quickly on the lips. "We can be that, too."

Remus lifted a brow at her teasingly. "Arch enemies who meet up in secret and kiss in the library?"

Diana shrugged, grinning. "That's the best kind."

Remus laughed, leaning down to bring her into another kiss. But before their lips could even touch this time, the two jerker apart from each other when a sharp and angry voice said from the end of the aisle, "What do you two think you're doing!?"

Looking over in horror, they saw Madam Pince, glaring at them disapprovingly. Her sharp gaze held them on the spot, unwavering. One look at her angry face was enough to know that they were in big trouble.

She then started walking toward them from the end of the long book aisle. The ground seemed to wilt beneath her high-heels with each firm step that she took toward them.

"What do we do now?" Diana whispered to Remus, her eyes fixed fearfully on the furious librarian.

"RUN!" Remus suddenly cried out and grabbed Diana's hand, turning around and running out of the library as fast as they could.

They kept on running for what felt like five minutes, only stopping when they were in a safe distance from the library.

      Placing their hands on their knees, they tried to catch their breath, but as soon as they looked back at each other, they broke into laughter.

"That — was — awesome!" Diana said between her roars of laughter.

"Pretty sure we're banned from the library from now on," said Remus, wiping his tears of laughter away.

But then, they both fell silent when they heard footsteps approaching them from the next corridor.

Giving each other a horrified look, Remus gestured to Diana to follow him away quietly. He then stopped at a wall nearby and pulled down the torch's handle which was hung on it. The next moment, the stone-made wall opened and so the two of them snuck inside the secret room which appeared to be a small and empty storage room, the same size of a broom closet. Once they were inside, the wall quickly closed behind them again. The only light inside the tiny room came from the little window there.

Remus and Diana began to snigger uncontrollably, holding their mouths to muffle out the sound of their laughter, waiting for the person outside to pass through the corridor.

"Well, that was fun," said Diana after a long pause of silence, looking up at him. Her stomach lurched at the small distance between them.

"This is like a daily routine to me." Remus chuckled. But he then smiled, saying softly, "You know... I was afraid that last night had been a dream."

Diana smirked. "It would've been less humiliating for you if it was a dream. You confessed to the Fat Lady that you loved her, for crying out loud."

Remus gaped at her in disbelief. "I did — what?"

     "Believe me, this was the least of your embarrassing interactions."

     "Oh, God... what else did I do?" Remus asked worriedly, dreading the answer.

      "Well, for one, you called Nearly Headless Nick and the Fat Friar, bitches. You blew up the Slytherin common room. You nearly took fifty points off Gryffindor when you saw two kids in your common room and thought they were kissing, which they weren't. You annoyed the Fat Lady into opening the portrait. Oh, and not to mention you fell asleep on the bathroom floor."

      Remus covered his face as he blushed in embarrassment, letting out a miserable groan. "I'm never drinking again."

     Diana laughed, holding his hands and lowering them so that he would look back at her. "Don't worry. I thought it was funny."

      "Of course me being humiliated would be funny to you," he said playfully.

      "Serves you well, for humiliating me last year on Valentine's day!"

       "You can't complain about that. You lost a bet, fair and square." Remus then smiled. "But I guess... I should probably take you on a proper date now."

      "Sure. As long as it doesn't involve half-naked dwarves who read embarrassing poems to me in front of everyone and then making me pay for it." Diana pointed a finger at him warningly, making him chuckle.

      "I'll have you know that the poem was a masterpiece."

       "Oh, yeah?" Diana folded her arms, raising a brow at him challengingly. She then cleared her throat, reciting the poem from memory in a dramatic voice, "Your eyes are like a blackhole, your brain is equivalent to a troll. Kinda groovy like a scary ghost, and a marshmallow that's about to roast."

Remus smirked. "You know, for someone who hated the poem, you sure have memorized it perfectly."

Diana shrugged shyly, a little smile blossoming upon her lips. "I guess the date wasn't too bad."

"Good to know. I'll make sure to call up the dwarf again for our next date."

Diana glared at him furiously. "Don't you dare, Remus Lupin!"

Remus laughed, catching her off guard when he leaned down and kissed her lips again, wishing that the moment would last forever.