twenty: happy in your hope

OVER THE COURSE of the next three days, we prepared for war

OVER THE COURSE of the next three days, we prepared for war. We had no idea what was in store for us so the best way to deal with it, was to go in fully armed. We never knew the dangers we could face, especially if we were working with our enemies.

I trained with Matthew, listening, watching, and then practising his movements myself. Katrina would pitch in to help with useful tips on posture from time to time. Lorrenia taught me how to use the high technology weapons, which were actually quite easy to operate.

Darsh was barely in action; he was too busy alternating between sleeping and being a genius. Macaria would stand in corners, a faraway look on her face as she watched me fight or decided to help the others with supplies.

No matter what she did, she never tried to talk to me again, after I had dismissed her from my room. I supposed I had hurt her pride repeatedly and there was only so much rejection a person could stand to silently accept.

I couldn't help it, either. Every time I looked at her, she reminded me of things I shouldn't have visions of. A dark palace, radiating death, a field of narcissus flowers, a wailing woman, and other indescribable pictures. Deciding that the visions were best kept to myself, I told no one about the nightmares that tore my mind apart every time I closed my eyes. 

I swing my legs over a chasm on the hill and throw another stone over the edge. It clatters helplessly down the height. The pebble disappears with a faint plop into the silent river flowing a hundred feet below.

It had been almost a week since I had run away from home. I have no idea how my parents are, what Charles might be going through at school, how my friends were holding up. I violently chuck another stone into the chasm, while a single tear graces my cheek.

"Well, well, well, what are we doing here?" A voice says right beside me and I nearly jump out of my skin. I hastily wipe my tears away before squinting up.

The sun was at an angle directed straight into my eyes, causing them to burn and water. After a few seconds of sun-blindness and beautiful black spots, a head of tousled brown hair came into focus.

"If you ever do that again, I will skin you alive," I threaten but shift to make space for the newcomer to sit down.

Matthew chuckles as he pulls his jeans at the knees before dangling his legs by my side. He bumps his shoulder to mine and says, "Sorry, I used to do this with. . ." 

He stops abruptly and throws his head back dismissively. "You know, it doesn't really matter. Anyway, what are you doing out here? Training was supposed to start fifteen minutes ago," he jokingly chides, tapping his wrist.

I look down at my feet, sheepishly. "I just hoped to bunk a class. But now that you're here, we can go back. . ." I offer but Matthew begins to wave off my sentence.

"It's alright. We can have a day off," he smiles before taking in the chasm below us. "Don't you think a better location would help if we're hanging out?"