eleven: he who strengthens you

THE ATHENA HALL is bathed in gold today

THE ATHENA HALL is bathed in gold today. The entrance is decorated with huge pots of golden flowers and champagne coloured curtains. We step in and immediately I am blinded. Lights as bright as the sun swirl around, making the room look like it is straight out of a fairytale.

I spot my father glide my mother across the golden dance floor, his eyes shining down on her. She laughs and lets him twirl her around before he gathers her back into his chest. They sway to the music playing in the corner, the instruments working on magic.

My eyes widen. Magic? Where are the warlocks? How did I not notice them before? They are always marked with a sign of Hades, a small skull mark right on their pulse point. My eyes rake over the room, taking in the jubilant crowd and my elated friends who stand in a circle around me.

"Did you hear that the Council was meeting for a special meeting to discuss Lydia Foster's termination?" Christina whispers, conspiratorially.

"Wonder what she must have done," Tyler says with a pointed look at Will.

"Pretty sure it's a crime to carry a sour face around," Macaria says and Charles chokes on his cranberry juice.

"Maybe it is," Will nods sombrely, smiles, and takes a sip of his champagne. His right arm is snaked around my waist and I place my head on his shoulder and join in awkwardly on the laughter.

If you're wondering how the music is playing, it's been blessed by Apollo.

A voice as smooth as silk breathes behind my ear and I shudder, stifling a scream. None of my friends seem to notice anyone behind me and I deliberate whether to turn or leave it be. Maybe it was just my imagination.

I'm pretty sure that I'm not a part of your hallucinations. The voice says again but this time it almost contains more amusement and less friendliness. I whip my head around, letting Will's arm fall from my hip.

"Who—" I begin but my words falter when I see nothing but air behind me. The closest strangers are at least two feet away from me and there is no way the owner of the voice could have run away that fast.

"Thea?" Christina calls and I turn slowly, my mind still trying to make sense of what I had just seen and heard.

"Yeah?" I say, almost absentmindedly. Who was that? Who was I talking to? Who was answering my unspoken questions?

"Are you okay? Do you need to sit down?" Christina asks, concern etched in the corners of her eyes and lips.

I shake my head and turn to Will, who has his eyebrows raised. "What?" I snap, not liking the condescending look he is throwing at me.