I gave her a smile. She makes me so proud, and I don't know if she's aware of that, but what's important for me is that someday she'll be proud of herself too.

"I'll keep your ticket. That okay?"

She gave me a nod and handed me a menu. "Let's order from there tonight?"

I wanted to feel giddy, but I remembered that my brother and I planned to surprise her tonight and my excitement died down. I wish he didn't have to be around when this is the first time in a while she initiated for us to eat together.

"Sure."

After a while, I left. I had to go back to the hotel and take care of some things. The preparations were going well as far as I knew, but without me around, there may be some decisions and unpredicted events that could be delayed. 

The hotel wasn't as welcoming as I was used to. It was like I was back in my high school gym working on the prom decorations. Multiple people worked in different places, assembling decorations, putting up the tables and chairs and stands and platforms. It was crazy to see how I had gone from working as a salesman in an appliance store to managing a hotel as big as this. When our the negotiation between our families was finalized, Jessicha was made to be the events preparation consultant. Since she has Soul Seeka, and my side of the family wanted to involve her with something concerning the hotel, we gave her a position she can easily do. Her role is just to double check everything before the final event, so anything that goes wrong in events will be about half her fault.

I'm not worried.

She always does a great job at everything she agrees to do.

"Sir," my assistant Jane called out as she walked towards me. "We need some help."

Jane is a senior in college and is working here for her resume. She and Jessicha are somehow friends too. I'll never know how. When I came across her resume, I knew I wanted her to be my assistant, and I wanted her to become like my little sister, too, especially since I've been stuck with a brother all my life, but she's too distant and I couldn't really bring myself to let her know what I thought. She's a good worker, overworks herself, though. From a brotherly perspective, I'm upset, but I really admire her dedication to whatever she has to do, so I don't scold her about it.

"We'd ideally ask for Mrs. Carter soon, but we know she's busy, so we were hoping you could give this report to her as early as tomorrow so she could start checking things out. The lights need finalizing for brightness, color, and design. The tables are pretty but uncomfortable, so the team's still searching for alternatives. The food, well, the gala heads were arguing about that this morning at about nine, so I suggest that's something to take care of today."

"Great! Good work, Jane!" I praised her, taking the file she mentioned and bringing it to my office. "Don't forget to take breaks."

"Alright."

I went straight to my office and got to work.

First up was the schedule. 

The current plan was that since the event was in three months, December, the upgrades for the anniversary should be about done by next month. My employees really didn't ask for much at all, and it makes me wonder if they're just too shy to ask for what they really wanted. Most requests were simply changes in some devices and furniture like replacing a creaking table, or a repair for an occasionally malfunctioning projector or air conditioner.

This wasn't what I anticipated. When I asked for what they wanted, I'd hoped to see remarks like new tables, new windows, a carpet, something they'd like to install in the rest area, or something. Maybe lockers or a stock of free drinks besides water, coffee, and tea.

Today, I was going to have my lunch, see the Gala directors, and plan renovations for the lobby, and observe my employees.

The canteen downstairs was crowded, but I was always made ample space whenever I was there. This time wasn't an exception, I was able to get extra food in a matter of a few minutes. Would it be more convenient to allow departmental lunch delivery so they could order before lunch and get their foods on time and still hot and fresh?

The trays were okay, but I want to buy better ones. The plates can be changed now, too. The stalls can be renovated and the layout could be changed. Basically the whole canteen could use some sprucing up. The lights are kind of dim too. I wanna change the whole style of the canteen.

I finished eating my food, and as usual, both Jessicha's and our chef's cooking are as top notch as ever. Feeling full, I decided to walk slowly to my car and go to the Legaspi Building in the next town over.

The building was imposing. I remember the first time I came here was when I was in high school, helping with deliveries and we installed multiple of the newest smart TV and specialized security systems. I was scared. A building like this felt as though it wouldn't accept a wimpy, nervous, and naive high school student. For some reason, even after all these years, I still felt the same. My palms clammed up, and my throat tightened a little bit. 

"Good morning, is Mr. Legaspi here?" I asked the person at the front desk. "Please tell him it's Mr. Carter."

She gave me a polite smile and a wait gesture and proceeded to inquire about it. "Yes, and he's available. Please go on and take the red elevator."

"Sure. Thanks."

The red elevator was a special elevator taken only by special guests and Mr. Legaspi and his family. No one else can step foot it in. I guess I should feel special.

It was gold and red both outside and inside, and a thought about getting something similar entered my mind, but I shrugged it off because I liked having to wait and experiencing the panic if I was rushing for something. When I was younger it was either my way of giving myself a mental push for what's to come or my time to myself where I could almost completely empty my mind for a bit.

"Saul," Gionni Legaspi greeted me with a smile. He and Dad were friends, but I was too busy with my part-time job and my studies and helping out at home to meet him or any of my dad's other friends and associates properly.

"Sir."

"Why are you here?"

"I heard from Jane--"

He stopped me. "Jane?"

"My PA," I said.

"Ah, yes. Your PA," he nodded. "I wanted to talk to you about her."

His room looked like a living room rather than a personal office. Comfortable, warm, and bright. It was like his personality, a stark contrast from the elevator, and when I arrived here my nerves had actually been partially eased.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked curiously.

"Jane. She's the daughter of a well-known principal in China. I heard that she's pursuing something her father doesn't completely support."

"That's not really my business," I shrugged. I mean, it's her choice, right? It's not like she's doing anything wrong.

He looked at me skeptically. "I don't think that's what you're really thinking, but I'm just putting this out there because I think it would be important to you."

"Thanks," I smiled at him gratefully. He's dad's closest friend and I knew I could trust him, too. I have never heard anything terrible about him from my dad, and I trust Dad's judgment of character very much. "I'll keep that in mind. Right now, though, there's something that bothers me a little bit." He nodded for me to go on. "I heard that there was an argument about food. May I ask what the problem was?"

He chuckled like he was amused and sighed exasperatedly.

Is he okay?

"I didn't understand why they were arguing about the food either. The selection was already set, but suddenly some of them suggested to make a few changes. I was going to ask them about this, too. Would you like to accompany me?"

I nodded in relief. I'd feel much more in control if someone I trust was with me, after all.

"Thank you, Sir."