Part 9: Labyrinth of Metal

In all the nausea, I forgot that Mhinto would inspect the boat.

And they're coming down here.

The black boots take another step down. I snatch my bag and spin around, pushing open the trap door.

Footsteps pound on the stairs behind me.

I jump inside and close the trap door. Light leaks through the cracks between two slabs of wood. I hold my breath and lean forward to look.

The helmet of a Mhinto police officer comes into view as he steps down into the storage room. A black, armored uniform covers every centimeter of skin. His head slowly turns, scanning the room.

A second pair of boots appear on the staircase followed by two bare feet.

"Anything to declare?" The first officer asks, static scrambling his voice.

The second officer passes the first and begins walking the perimeter of the room. The barefoot man remains at the base of the stairs, beads of sweat dripping down his forehead. He wipes his hands on a towel and stares straight at the trap door. At me.

The light vanishes, the second officer stopping in front of the trap door. His back blocks my view, and now I can't see the other officer or the barefoot man.

"Well?" The first officer prompts again.

Silence.

My stomach twists into knots as I wait in darkness.

The second officer shifts. The world changes as his body turns, his torso faces me and he leans down. His face stares straight at the trap door.

I freeze.

"No. Nothing," the barefoot man coughs.

The second officer reaches out, his fingers touching the wooden slab.

He sees me. I'm trapped.

Light suddenly appears. A chunk of fish guts is smeared on his fingers. He leans back and shakes his fingers, groaning in disgust.

The three men come into full view. The barefoot man stares at his feet as the second officer nods at the first.

The two of them move away and begin ascending the stairs. The barefoot man follows behind, stopping only for a moment to glance my way.

Thank you.

All three disappear from the room, and instantly a chorus of heavy footsteps appear on the deck above.

I release my breath in a quiet sigh, but I don't move. Staying still in my hiding place, I wait for the boat to keep moving before letting my guard down.

After a moment, the boat roars to life and lurches forward, making the walls shake. I open the trap door, slowly and carefully, peeking my head out to double check the empty space.

No one in sight.

I collapse back on the stool and bite my fingernails, staring at the stairs.

The ride is smooth, absent of choppy, rough waters.

Ten quiet minutes pass.

The boat slows to a full stop and the engine cuts off. My eyes are glued to the steps, waiting for more black boots to appear, to find me and turn me in to the Mhinto Empress as a Cronus spy.

Two bare feet appear.

I scramble to my feet as the barefoot man enters the storage room.

"We're here. 10,000 units." He pulls up his communicator in anticipation of a unit transfer. He looks at me, raising his brows.