Chapter 47 MAE DAY

Start from the beginning

"A dead one," I replied cracking everyone up... well apart from Conrad.

"I think even the baby laughed at that," Lee said. "Oh that reminds me, Conrad brought the baby here to ask Mae to change him and I ended up doing it. He over heated the milk because he was left to make a neighbour deaf..."

"You left the baby alone!" she growled.

"No Lee had him," Conrad protested.

"You are supposed to have him! He is your son. Did you feed him?" she asked glaring.

Lee held up the empty bottle milk and as he was winding the baby to prove he hadn't.

"Did you do anything with the baby?" she asked.

"He left him on the chair on his own," I replied.

"I forgot the bottle, he wasn't there long," he said defending himself.

"We will discuss this later! And why did you leave the other nine children with your mother?"

"Because she wouldn't take tenth," he replied.

"More like you are hiding something! Are you under instructions to prevent these two from..."

"No!" he said quickly with a look that said he was hiding something. Maybe we weren't allowed to be together in that way.

"I don't believe you," she replied by which time he had disappeared. "If he thinks a head start will stop me tearing the flesh from his bones, he can think again."

Oooops Conrad was in trouble!

I looked at Lee who was finding it all very amusing. "Thanks for coming," Lee said as she took the baby and gave Lee a kiss on the cheek.

"No problem," she said. "Where are the twins?" she asked.

"In bed," he replied nodding towards it. She walked down the hall and Lee followed.

"They are exhausted," she whispered peeking around the door. "And this blonde one has a fever," she said passing Lee the baby back so she could go inside. I wished I could get closer but didn't want to interfere. "Her transition started when she was weak, she is a boisterous one and impatient. She could do with a few days in Nehalem."

"We have requested it," Lee replied.

"He is a gentle soul, and very sad," she said obviously talking about Bay.

"He is pining for his mother," Lee said quietly.

"Cubs are hard work," she replied.

"As are witchlings but she managed all of them for long enough on her own and settled the twins tonight," Lee replied proudly.

"They remembered her?"

"Yes and its the first night this week they have been asleep together. Willow has been teething and predatory so been a nightmare. She bites, claws and attacks all the time. She attacked Suri the other day as she has an ice cream and she wanted it. She already had her own."

"Ooo she needs a time out. I think he has leant towards his human genes but she is embracing the lioness because she was so used to being weak and fears it will happen again. She is racing ahead of the change, and its draining her."

"Well I can only do so much on my own and have responsibilities outside of the children to contend with. I can't be a protector of this world and not a master of my own heart. I face another test and I will not fail her."

"Love can be very complicated or easy. Don't try to love someone because you feel you owe it to them, or feel like you are failing them by not passing a test. You can love them in very different ways. Maybe with Mae you have a love for her because you respect her and her bravery in colliding with our worlds. You love her for protecting your daughter and raising these two but I can tell you now, you will fail if you love her for all that and not for the woman she is inside. Fucking someone is easy when you like them as a person, and Mae has that porcelain doll look which I know you find cute. But cute isn't going to cut it. Get to know her, let down your guard. I'm not talking about the lion, I mean Lee. I think you've both lost yourselves in all this madness where everyone wants and needs something from you and all you want is the quiet life. You were born into greatness and if she knew half of what you faced on a daily basis and how lucky she is to know your name let alone be your wife, she would be astounded."