SEVEN | children of the gods, part two

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍.
CHILDREN OF THE GODS, PART TWO

𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐄 the others ventured outside the pyramid housing the Stargate, Juniper was the first to volunteer for staying behind. Being around Daniel was... hard, to put it lightly. He seemed to care deeply for Sha're, his apparent wife, if the brunette had understood correctly.

Her chest flared with an ache she remembered from times long gone every time she saw them together, every single time. Not to mention, the rather steamy kiss they'd engaged in before leaving. There was no possible way that everyone around them had missed her sour expression, at least one of them would've seen it. Probably Jack, she thought to herself.

So, the young woman found herself guarding the Abydos gate, gun held firmly in hand as she rested some of her weight on the wall behind her. She waited for something to happen, anything really. Well, anything but Daniel and Sha're sharing another kiss, or touch, or-

Juniper shivered at the direction her thoughts had turned, not wanting to even imagine the fact that Daniel had more than likely spent his fair share of time warming the other woman's bed, the way he used to do for her. Her chest flared with pain all over again, so she forced herself to examine the area around her and do the work she was hired to do.

The brunette surveyed the way the Abydonians interacted with each other and the present members of the reconnaissance team. For starters, they seemed fairly relaxed, albeit prepared for the worst. They smiled and laughed like unaware civilians, able to disguise the, to her, obvious worry that the people who had appeared at the SGC might make an appearance on Abydos as well.

She continued to work on analyzing some of the Abydonians with particular care for the way they regarded those around them and the way they communicated their thoughts to the off-world visitors despite their clearly limited knowledge of English. But her observations were cut short as the Stargate started to dial in.

"We got company, boys," one of the airmen, Farley, if she wasn't mistaken, called. He quickly amended his statement when he locked eyes with the brunette across the room, adding, "and Dr. Condos."

Given the present situation, Juniper resisted the temptation to correct him. She did decide to give some orders of her own, though. "Everybody take cover!"

Her words must've been well known on the planet because everyone scattered to the edges of the room, hiding behind pillars, holding their guns ready as the Stargate opened. Juniper took cover behind a pillar, her gun pressed against her torso as she tried to all but meld with the stone-like material at her back. She hid alone, having previously shooed away one of the Abydonian boys, one without any kind of weapon, into the arms of another.