PREFACE | starting over

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐄

𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐄.
STARTING OVER

In a world where advancement was just the tip of the iceberg, Juniper was going to be the catalyst that kickstarted it all.

🌌

"𝐖𝐄 have to go," Juniper stressed, the sinking feeling in her stomach only getting deeper and deeper. She could barely see through the sweat accumulating in her eyes, dripping from her brow. "Mom, we've got to go."

Looking at the hand attached to her own, she found it to be lax, coated in a layer of blood belonging to someone she'd looked up to for years. Flames licked the skin of Juniper's limbs, most specifically her arms. She couldn't let go though. Not yet.

"I love you," was the rasped response from her mother, Bailey, as the flames began to consume her whole. In that moment, Bailey found the strength to slip from Juniper's grasp as another person came up behind her.

Juniper was grabbed by the waist, the arms foreign and thereby unwelcome. SHe fought until a voice, distant and not belonging to this particular event, broke through.

"June, you're okay. You're safe. But you need to wake up. Come on, Bar Girl, I need you to wake up for me."

But she didn't want to leave until she could save her mom. Yet, the arms around her waist didn't give her a choice in the matter as she was dragged, kicking and screaming, out the front door and into a blinding light.