FIVE | promises kept

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄.
PROMISES KEPT

𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑 the course of the next year, a lot changed for Juniper. For starters, she no longer lived in her apartment. After trying to drown herself in the bathtub, it was determined that she shouldn't be on her own for the unforeseeable future. O'Neill offered her a room in his house. She accepted.

That was another thing. She had gotten close with the now retired Colonel Jack O'Neill. Initially she chalked it up to her grief affecting the way neurons were fired in her brain. But, over time she came to terms with the fact that she truly got along with the man. Especially given their shared grief over losing a vital part of their families.

Juniper had also given up ownership of the bar her parents had left to her, or rather she sold it. She couldn't handle the way the building acted like one giant reminder of the fact that she was the sole survivor of the Condos family. It had gone to a kind gentleman who left an open-ended offer of a partnership, but she continued to refuse the offer. There was nothing that could be done to fix what being there now meant to her.

She went from being the beloved bartender of Almeda, Colorado to a gutter-haunting private investigator notorious for her ability to cut through red tape. Sure, it seemed like a complete turnaround careerwise, but none of the people who knew her as a bartender knew about the losses that had caused the switch.

Her once adoration of the stars and space turned into a seething dislike. She barely tolerated the late night astronomy outings by Jack because he was the one to give her a place to stay, to help her back onto her feet despite it all. But, she almost never went up to the homemade observation deck he'd put together. The few times she did indeed venture up there were simply to enjoy a mug of coffee and chat about her most recent case with the older man.

Juniper Loni Condos had gotten lost after the deaths of Dorian Oliver Condos and Daniel Nicholas Jackson. And she was still trying to find her way back home, that is, if she ever could.