FOUR | missing in action

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑.
MISSING IN ACTION

𝐓𝐖𝐎 weeks. It had taken Daniel two weeks to figure out what it took the clothes two years to even think about. And he finished their work too. Juniper had barely been far from his side, constantly providing encouragement, knowing that if anyone could complete this rather daunting assignment, it was him. That wasn't to say she hadn't been given her own task, she definitely had.

Except, it wasn't one that had anything to do with the project, the Stargate as Daniel so eloquently put it.

Her assignment was to provide the present military scientists with any progressions on her state since leaving the base nearly fourteen years prior, not giving any updates in nearly eight years. While it was irritating that he couldn't seem to escape such a torturous life, she decided it was best for everyone if she simply complied with the not-so-optional request. Along the way, she'd gotten to know Dr. Langford, learning about her involvement in the Stargate project, so there was that bonus.

Although she'd been offered the opportunity to witness the potentially successful activation of the Stargate, Juniper chose to instead do some reading in her quarters. It's not like she'd be much use with anything regarding the science behind the Stargate; she wasn't trained for that kind of thing, nor did she have too much interest in it.

So, it was in her dimly lit quarters that she felt the air shift around her, signifying a new beginning for life as she knew it. And, unbeknownst to anyone at the time, the end of everything she once believed in.

🌌

𝐉𝐔𝐍𝐈𝐏𝐄𝐑 awoke to steady beeping nearby. She was hooked up to a variety of medical equipment. The last thing she remembered was reading in her quarters. Her return to consciousness came as a surprise to the doctors on site. Apparently she'd gone into an unexplained coma for the last couple days.

The air force had sent a reconnaissance team through the Stargate, one that had both her brother and lover on it. To say she was upset would be a total understatement, but the powers at be didn't allow her the opportunity to stay that way.

Burying the negative thoughts that tried to surface, Juniper decided that she was better off working on what she was going to say to Dorian, how she was going to apologize for her cold demeanor, when he got back. After passing all of the required tests, she was discharged from the infirmary. And it was a good thing too, because she was getting sick and tired of the hospital gown she'd been forced into during her coma.

And so, she patiently awaited the return of the reconnaissance team, having decided that she was going to make some big changes in her life. This would start with trying to reconcile with her brother and end with asking Daniel to marry her. Unconventional though the concept was, she knew that they were ready and that she couldn't imagine being with anyone else.

So, when it was announced that there was activity with the Stargate, Juniper was one of the first people in the control room. No one, not even Major General West tried to stop her. The entire base held their breath as the reconnaissance team returned through the Stargate. Juniper surveyed the returnees, not spotting any familiar faces, other than O'Neill's.

Fear jabbing at her chest, Juniper tore through the halls, out of the control room and into the embarkation room, reaching it just as the wormhole closed. She was the first to approach the battered men, tears glistening in her eyes.

"Where's Daniel," she asked, her concern for the missing doctor evident by the wa her voice faltered upon mention of his name. The solemn expressions were answer enough, but there was more she needed. "Dorian?" And expressions grew somber. But she waited to hear the words. She needed to hear the words.

O'Neill, recognizing her now to be Dorian's sister after seeing a photo with the young Major on Abydos, realized that none of his men knew how to tell her what happened. So, he took the initiative as their commanding officer.

"Dr. Condos, I regret to inform you that Dr. Daniel Jackson and Major Dorian Condos didn't make it," was the apologetic response that came from the gruff man. Although, at that moment, Juniper wasn't sure if he could be defined in such a way. In fact, he looked more regretful and burdened than ever.

But none of that seemed to register as the gravity of his words, of her new reality, hit her full force. There was so much going on in her head, in her heart, that she didn't notice her legs caving in and the arms that held her upright as she let out some of the most heart wrenching cries any of the people present had ever heard.

And through it all, Colonel Jack O'Neill kept a steady hold on the younger woman, knowing that his words had just ended her life as she once knew it.