– Thank you... – He said.

Margaret just nodded and finished putting on the whole new bandage. The unknown girl thought for a moment that they were a couple, or that they had a similar relationship.

The sound of a baby caught the attention of all three present. Margaret and William stared at the place where the sound was coming from and the girl approached a kind of makeshift crib.

They were both sure of what they heard when they saw her pick up the baby from the crib. Margaret smiled for a moment when she saw such a scene. It was something beautiful and innocent in the midst of so much chaos that they were currently going through.

– Mon petit... – The girl said with the baby in her lap. It was beautiful how she smiled as she stared at the child.
(My little one.)

– It's a girl? – Margaret asked approaching.

– Oui. Une fille.
(Yes. A girl.)

The girl sat down with the baby on the makeshift bed and the two approached, kneeling on the floor to be taller than the girl.

– What's her name? – Schofield asked and the girl looked at him strangely.

– Je ne sais pas... – She replied still with a strange look on her face. 
(I don't know.)

– Who is her mother? – Schofield asked, confused.

– Je ne sais pas... – She replied again.

Soon the two realized that it was an orphan or abandoned child. Both hearts ached to imagine that, but they were relieved when they realized how well that girl took care of the baby.

– I have food... – Margaret said and the two looked at her.

She soon removed all the canned items from her backpack and placed them on the girl's bed.  Schofield would object, but this woman and the baby needed more. He knew there was also Margaret and that she hadn't eaten all day, but soon they would be in the Devons and there they would feed properly.

– Elle ne peut pas manger ça... elle a besoin de lait. – The girl said.
(She can't eat this. She needs milk)

– Milk? – Schofield asked. He remembered that he had filled his canteen with milk on that farm and opened the lid, raising the canteen for the girl to sniff.

The girl smiled in surprise and stared at Schofield. She also hadn't had contact with a decent man in months and was glad to see one so close to her.

The baby was also staring at Schofield intently, as if he were his mother's breast. Margaret found the scene funny and cute at the same time. It was comforting to find a baby in the midst of the chaos they lived.

– Boujour... – Schofield said as he played with the baby's chubby little hands.

– Avez-vous des enfants? – The girl asked, but there was no answer, just a lost look coming from the corporal. – Children? You.
(Do you have children?)

– Shh... it's okay... – William would say to the baby.

– Elle vous aime. – The girl said, referring to the baby who smiled as he faced the Corporal. (She likes you.) – Continuer de parler. (Keep talking.)

– They went to sea in a sieve. In a sieve they went to sea. Despite what all their friends might say, one winter morning, one stormy day, in a sieve they went to sea. Far and few, far and few are the lands where the Jumblies live.Their heads are green, their hands are blue and they went to sea in a sieve...

And after his bedtime story, Schofield can listen. The loud sound of the bell ringing, signaling that it was already 6:00 am the other day. The Devons would battle after sunrise and he wouldn't arrive in time to warn them.