Baby.

Hello hello, don't forget the comment and vote!

- ─•°.-ˏˋ ♡ ˊˎ-°•─
𝐀𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐝, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐆𝐨𝐝 𝐈'𝐦 𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞.
•───── ୨❀୧ ─────•

April, 7. 1917.

– Il n'y a rien ici... – The woman said with trembling hands. – Il n'y a rien pour vous. S'il te plaît...
(There is nothing here. There is nothing for you. Please...)

– Okay... – Schofield replied, lowering the gun. – Not German... friend... I'm a friend.

Margaret noted that the young girl seemed a little calmer after the corporal lowered his weapon and placed it on the ground.

– This place... this town... Ecoust? – He asked in a calm voice so as not to scare that girl even more. – Est-ce Ecoust ici?
(Is this Ecoust?)

– Oui... – The woman replied. William can finally sigh and close his eyes in relief. – Où sont les autres?
(Yes. Where are the others?)

– Others? – William asked, since he wasn't fully fluent in French. – No... just me.

Margaret just watched the scene in silence. So far, that girl hadn't noticed her presence.

– Me and her... – Schofield said, grabbing Margaret hand gently and pulling her out from behind him. – We need to be somewhere... we have to find a wood to the southeast. Eh... trees... Kroset...

He tried to explain as best he could, because he knew that this girl was not fluent in english either.

– Croisilles? – The woman asked after understanding what the corporal meant.

– Yes! – He nodded.

– The riviere. – The girl pointed her finger forward and the two followed her gaze to where she had pointed.

– River?  – William asked.

– River. – The woman said. – It goes that...

She spoke with difficulty, but it was possible to understand. William nodded and felt something warm on the back of his neck, running his hand over the spot. His attitude drew the attention of the two women present there and Margaret approached him.

William had to hold on not to fall for the weakness he felt. With Margaret's help he sat down on the floor.

– Sit down, Will. – She said.

Looking at the back of the elder's neck, she noticed that all the gauze was smeared with blood. Margaret took a deep, worried breath and removed that gauze. The unknown woman watched the scene and approached when she felt she was safe with both of them.

She realized she was posing as a man and a woman when she looked up into Margaret's delicate but dirty face. The girl took a cloth and soaked it with some water from a bucket and handed it to Margaret.

– Merci ... – Margaret said with a smile that was reciprocated by the other girl.

Schofield's face was pale and tired, which was a bad sign for Margaret. She cleaned the entire place carefully, but still managed to hear some painful moans from William.

For a moment William rested his head in Margaret's hand and seemed to relax a little at that. For the first time, their faces got close enough that he made the shy nurse look away.