X. Happy Ever After Pt.1

CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN

Running away with your love is something fantastic.

It makes you feel free, wanted. It makes you feel like you can do anything and everything. Nobody can stop you, nobody has leverage because you have everything you care for with you.

Elizabeth had everything she ever wanted with her. Rhaegar, her love, her husband, Oswell and Arthur, her friends. She didn't need anything else. She knew her family was ok, they were Starks, not many people could hurt them. Guess she was wrong.

They were in a little town situated in the dornish borderline, when voice of Brandon and Rickard Stark's death arrived. They were on their daily walk, buying something for the evening. Arthur and Oswell went on their own, probably in a tavern, while the new wedded couple were laughing together.

"I swear, I didn't provoke him." laughed Lizzie.

"And why did he run after you?" questioned Rhaegar with an amused smile. Lizzie had the tendency of never admitting her faults, but he didn't mind.

Before she had a chance to respond his question with a snarky remark shouts were heard.

The looked at each other, not knowing what it would mean. It could be nothing, just a fight, which was normal around there or it could be something important, serious. They took the other's hand and begun walking cautiously towards it. Probably not a good idea, considering they were fugitives but if it was something that would harm them they would be able to run away in time, maybe. Rhaegar fought against the fear he was feeling. Maybe they found them, maybe they were going to take her away from him, he could not be certain.

At each step they took the anxiety grew.

"The Starks are dead!" the man shouted. "Brandon and Rickard are dead! The King killed them!"

A crowd was created around the man, some whispering of the growing madness of the King, others just sad that other people met that fate. He continually repeated the same words like it was the only thing he could do, he did not know what they would cause.

The death of the Lord Stark and his heir will only extend the already war they were fighting.

Rhaegar was shocked to know that his good-father and brother were dead. He did not expect that. His father was not mad, he was stupid, an idiot. Killing the Lord and the heir of the north will bring more caos to the already chaotic kingdom. He came to a conclusion that his father was brainless.

He looked to his right feeling his hand getting crashed and saw a teary looking girl. A girl who just lost her father and older brother but still acted as it didn't really affected her. He needed to get her out of there. He needed to hug her, let her cry against him.

He didn't know how much she was destroyed by the news. He would not be able to think of a time without his mother. She has been, for years, the light in his dark life.

He took Lizzie's hand and brought her to an aisle where he could speak with her, alone. He wanted her to explode, cry, sob, hug in desperation. But she did none of that.

Instead she looked at him like he was the one who was gonna break.

"Are you fine? Do you need something?" She asked him. She was a little worried about him. Why did he drag her there? Was he OK?

Rhaegar didn't know what game she was playing. Her father and brother were dead. She was the one who wasn't supposed to be fine. He was suppose to be the one asking her if she were OK!

"Me?" Rhaegar asked. "You just discovered you father and you brother died at the hand of your good-father" he almost yelled. Why did she have to hide her feelings away from him?  He would not judge her, never. "You do not have to hide from me."

"Why should I be hiding something?" her voice trembled. "I am fine." as she said the last sentence she started crying. She had moved on. She made peace with the fact that she would have never seen her family alive again. She had a new family, one who didn't force her into doing something she didn't want to. She should have been happy. Her family should have been in the past. But she still thought they would have lived for decades. She even thought she would have died first, that they had to mourn her, not the opposite.

Rhaegar immediately hugged her. 

He didn't know what was going through her mind. He didn't know what she actually was crying for. He thought her tears were for her family in the North, angry tears for his own father for killing the people she loved, not the ones near her.

"I don't know what to do." she whispered in his ear. "They are the past, my new family is here with me, safe." she continued. "But it still hurts."

"Everything is going to be fine, I promise you." he said gently to her.

He wanted to apologize for infinity. His family killed hers. He was, almost, the reason to her suffer. He wanted to make her feel better, but didn't know how. How was he supposed to help someone who lost a part of herself? She told him they were in the past, but how could he believe her when he saw himself, with his own eyes, how much they meant to her, how much she loved them and they her.

She didn't know if it was the best moment to tell him, it could distract him from what was actually happening. She knew he somehow thought was his fault when it actually was hers. If she didn't escape with him they would have never went after her or face the Mad King.

So she just said it.

And ......... I am back. I know I know, it's been too long, but I never stopped working about this book and I have a lot of ideas, I just didn't know how to put it in words.I wanted to thank you y'all for your patience and also because this book has reached 10.06K!!!!!! You can't imagine how happy I am. I hope you liked this chapter ...... See you soon!

03/03/2022