Chapter 15.3: More Than Life Itself

It wasn't long before all the guests were gathered in the banquet hall. A vast array of dishes laid across the pristine white cloth, carefully and meticulously crafted, a collaboration between Gold and Emerald chefs. The aromas of perfectly cooked steaks, chicken and lamb melded with the sweetness of the sugary cakes and other desserts in a way that had everyone at the table salivating. While waiting for the last of the dishes to be brought out, the guests were talking amongst themselves, creating a comfortable, boisterous atmosphere.

At the head of the table sat Phil. By his side, Techno leaned back, idly chatting with the older of his two brothers, as Niki listened along from next to them. She would occasionally chirp in with a comment that had her two friends laughing heartily. Across from them and on the other side of Phil, Tommy was animated, engrossed in telling a story to his best friend. Tubbo would shove him playfully, sending them both in fits of giggles. Tubbo would talk about the new arrangement he had with Dream which all allowed him more time with his family and still allowed him to fulfil his duties in the castle.

George and Dream finally arrived at the two seats saved for them at the other end of the table. George's puffy face had dried up by then and so had Dream's, though it didn't matter since most of it was hidden behind the white disc he donned. This left behind an atmosphere between them matching that of the room. They laughed and teased one another as they sat, lands interlocked under the table, and they were lost in their own world.

George did steal a glance across the room, however, catching sight of Sapnap speaking with a prince he didn't quite recognise. It was a relief to know he wasn't alone and was getting himself well-acquainted with the guests. For the brief moment that Sapnap looked over, George shot a teasing wink in his direction, sending the advisor looking away again. He knew that Sapnap would get him for that one later.

The room quietened down as Phil raised his hand, the chattering mellowing down to whispers and then silence. He cleared his throat.

"Before we begin, I'd like to say a few words. Thank you all for coming today, it is my absolute pleasure to host a gathering as lively as this one. I understand that some of you have travelled for hours, some even a day or two, just to attend today. To each and every one of you, your presence is much appreciated."

All eyes were on him at this point, and there wasn't a single attendee who didn't have lingering traces of a smile on their face.

"Today, we sit amongst family, —"

Techno's attentive expression morphed into that of a smile, looking up at his adoptive father gratefully.

"— friends, —"

Wilbur and Niki glanced at one another, a similar expression on their faces. Meanwhile, Sapnap glanced over at George, an eyebrow raised playfully. The prince stuck his tongue out, and he had to bite his lip to keep from laughing next to Karl.

"— and friends-to-be."

Sapnap turned his attention over to the Quartz prince, who was engrossed in the speech. His eyes flickered across what he could see of Karl's face - the pure, genuine interest he gave Phil, how his lips parted just barely.

"No matter our ages, backgrounds, statuses, we've come together today and enjoyed an evening in one another's company. I hope everyone here has had the chance to speak to someone they hadn't before, especially now. This is the beginning of a new era for individuals of every continent, especially those who were affected by the rule of The Nether's conquest. As we wait and hope for a more compassionate leader to be coronated, we relish in the freedom his absence brings us, and we hold a greater appreciation for one another - as leaders in our own right, and as human beings. I won't keep you from your meals any longer."