Chapter 8.1: Love All The Same

(art by GlitchedFlames on Twitter)

They were back at the creek again, but this time, the sun had set. It was impossible to determine what time it was, but the dark sky was littered with more stars than he had ever seen in Diamond. Swirls of faint, translucent pinks and purples painted it in a way he had never experienced before. It was like he was seeing the world through a new lens.

Looking around, the fireflies lit the forest, and the stream his feet were dipped in was glowing a blue hue. Climbing the barks of trees, the usually green algae glowed a similar light. It was magical. A faint maple syrup smell was wafting through the air, though it didn't appear to have a direct source.

George looked over at the dirty blonde next to him. He had his mask sitting on the rock. As hard as he squinted, he couldn't seem to focus on Dream's face higher than his lips. It was a hazy blur.

"Hi, darlin'," his smooth voice spoke as his lips curved to a lazy smile. Dream leaned back to prop himself up on his arms, waving his legs with the flow of the river.

George tilted his head slightly, a smile on his lips. He tried to examine his face closer, but to no avail.

"Hi," he responded, hands placed neatly in his lap. "We're back here."

"Of course. You're happy here, and I like seeing you happy."

A faint blush rose to his cheeks and he looked down bashfully.

"Don't hide from me, George. I know you're blushing." There was a hint of amusement in the low voice, and it only made George blush harder.

"I can do whatever I want, you're not the boss of me," George teased, sliding off the rock and letting the water caress his clothed shins as he took a few careful steps.

"Exactly," Dream mumbled, following suit and wrapping his arms around the man's waist. "You can do whatever you want."

Even though he knew it was a dream, it still felt so real. The warmth of his chest against George's back, the breath against his neck, all making him melt in his arms. Still, despite indulging for a few more seconds, he pulled away and took another few steps to a deeper section of the creak. It was up to his knees now, verging on his lower thighs. A quiet, distant ringing in his ears made itself apparent, though it was quiet enough to tune out.

"Surely you know the implications of that," he warned over his shoulder, watching the glowing stream sway as he moved. Dream hummed.

"Remind me," the faceless man said gently, taking a few steps closer once again.

"You not being real is going to be more of an issue than assurance." He turned around, looking at the man's lips since it was all his eyes would let him see. "I'm going to get too caught up with you and you're gonna make me feel things that I'll think about for the rest of the day once I wake up."

"Well," Dream said in a quiet, breathy voice as he stepped closer and rested a hand on George's cheek. His eyelids fluttered upon contact and his hand instantly rose to hold it in place. "It looks like you've already been feeling things."

George hadn't noticed the water had risen to his stomach. Either the ground had dipped lower under their feet or the water had risen, but it didn't really matter, nor did George care. All he was focused on was the familiar feeling of Dream's calloused fingers pressed against his cheek and his other hand slipping down to his waist, pulling him ever so slightly closer as they waded in the water together.

"That's not fair," George breathed out, closing his eyes.

Dream let out a soft, amused hum.