Chapter 30

6 Months Later...

Briar

I relax into the couch as I wait for Quinn to get back with dinner. He had taken a couple of weeks off so we could go to our cabin for a vacation once school let out for the summer. I only have one more year left and Quinn has already started discussing how we can work together. The thought makes my heart warm almost as much as Hank climbing up next to me and resting his head on my legs.

My baby knows when I don't feel good.

Quinn walks through the door a few minutes later with the ridiculous dinner I requested. He comes to sit next to me, urging Hank to move despite the pup's protests.

"Hey pretty girl." He murmurs, leaving a trail of kisses up my neck and across my jaw. I groan a little and lean into his touch until his hand begins to migrate up my thigh and I stop him. He pulls away to look at me curiously and I huff out a laugh.

"Sorry but I am closed for business." I say and he huffs out an annoyed sound.

"Why?" He asks and I roll my eyes before giving him an annoyed look.

"I have my period." I say exasperated. He groans and tilts his head back.

"How many times do I have to tell you? I don't care about that." He says and I give him an incredulous look.

"I still don't believe it. I've never known a guy who willingly has sex with a girl on her period." I say and he just shrugs.

"What's the point of having a man sword if I'm not willing to get a little blood on it?" He teases and I groan at his joke.

"Oh my god." I say, tilting my head back and laughing.

"I'm a pirate, baby. And I will captain your red sea." He says with a horrible accent and I crack up laughing so hard I give myself a cramp. I clutch my stomach and Quinn gives me a worried look.

"You alright?" He asks and I nod.

"Yeah. I'll be fine. At least I'm not pregnant I guess." I say and Quinn gets a thoughtful expression.

"You don't want kids?" He asks and I shrug.

"Not right now. But someday." I say and his face lights up like a kid on Christmas.

"Really?" He asks and I giggle a little, reaching out to cup his cheek.

"Of course. I want to have your babies." I say affectionately and he leans in to kiss me.

"How many?" He asks and I laugh again.

"I'm not sure. Let's not decide right now." I say and he nods.

"You're right. Let's eat dinner now." He says and I nod.

I stand and follow him over to the table as he dishes out the food. Hank sits in his own spot and Quinn gives him his special dinner. He doesn't need to be on the special diet anymore, but we cook a lot of food for him now because he likes it so much.

He's my baby. He gets what he wants.

We sit and eat in companionable silence before Quinn clears his throat.

"What do you think about getting another dog?" He asks and I shake my head.

"We don't need another dog. Hank is more than enough." I say, eyeing my boy affectionately. Quinn chuckles at me and I go back to eating.

"Besides, if we did that you'd have to get your will changed again." I tease him and he laughs louder this time.

"No I wouldn't" He says and I narrow my eyes at him in confusion.

"Why not?" I ask and he gives me a warm smile.

I watch as he slips from his chair to the floor next to me, pulling a jewelry box from his back pocket.

"Because wives don't need to be in the will." He says, his voice full of emotion as he flips the lid open and the most stunning diamond glints back at me.

"Briar, you're my dream come true. My real life fairy tale. You had me smitten from nearly the first moment I saw you. You never cease to amaze me with your humor, your joy, your excitement for life. The way you love to try new things, to learn new things. The way you love Hank and I, it's pure. Unfiltered. Perfection. You are the dream I never thought I would get to have, but you accepted me for who I am. Flaws and all. And for that you will have my undying love and loyalty for all of time so I was just wondering if you would do me the honor of marrying me. Well, us." He says, motioning to Hank, but I barely see it through my tears. I let out a little sob and nod my head.

"Of course I'll marry you." I say and Quinn's eyes glisten with his own tears.

"And Hank? He can stay?" He asks teasingly and I bark out a laugh.

"Well, obviously. I've loved him even longer than you." I say and Quinn chuckles as he slips the ring on my finger.

I fall to the floor to join him and he catches me.

He always catches me.

He holds me close and I press my lips to his. I thread my tongue into his mouth and he groans a little as I feel him swell against me.

"Your period isn't going to stop us from celebrating our engagement." He says and I let out a peal of laughter as he lifts me and begins to carry me up the stairs.

"Fine. But can we at least do it in the shower?" I ask teasingly as I smile at him, my arms wrapped around his neck. He gives me a thoughtful look before he nods.

"Yeah, baby. I can work with that." He says smugly as he sets me down and rips his shirt over his head.