Percy grimaced bitterly. "Indeed."

"And if you marry someone from the Olympian Kingdom, it would be even harder to accomplish a divorce since that might lead to bad diplomatic relations between our kingdoms. But what if they still force you to take on a second wife?"

He shook his head. "A long time ago, I asked permission from my father that I would only ever have one wife. Not even concubines. I've seen what the harem life has done with its life-long damages, especially to my mother. I'm not going to subject anyone to that kind of fate. Besides," Percy said as he smiled at her. "I don't think I have room in my heart for more than one woman."

She pecked him on the cheek. "I don't think I have room for more than one man either," Annabeth joked.

"You don't have to answer now. I'll send a formal request to your parents if you do say-"

"Yes."

There was a pause. "You don't need time to think about it?"

Annabeth shook her head wryly. "I'll be honest to you, too. You knew from before that I'd rather not get married. But since that's all society expects from me, I would much rather I marry someone that I choose and not be sold off like chattel to the highest bidder for my hand. Which, by the way, is Baron Rodrick."

A growl erupted from Percy's throat. Really. That infuriating old fart. He was going to have to do something about that annoying toad.

"I'm not very enthused about it, and neither are my parents. I did approach you with the thought of marriage in mind, but what I found out was that I really do like you. You're a good friend, but I also see you as more than a good friend."

"Ah, so you were seducing me," Percy teased.

"Please," she snorted. "I thought your oblivious self would never notice."

"How could I not, with such a beautiful lady enchanting me?"

Annabeth gave him a look, and shook her head laughingly.

"Would your parents accept me, though? I realize that your father has glared at me whenever I come within ten feet of you at the last societal event."

Annabeth laughed. "I've come to realize, he's probably being slightly overprotective, as all fathers might do for their children. You're markedly better than Baron Rodrick, though not by much," she teased.

"What? I am certainly better than that old geezer," he complained.

She threw her arms around him for a kiss on the lips, which he gladly accepted. "I know," she said softly. "I like you lots better. I'll convince my parents."

Percy curled his arms around her, relishing the warmth he found in her.

"Ew, Percy, you're sweatier than I thought. Go take a shower or I won't hug you again until you do."

"Look at you, Lady Annabeth. Already getting used to being called Countess Annabeth, aren't you?" Percy put her palm over his heart. "Your wish is my command, Lady Annabeth."

*************************

Annabeth had mentioned that she would do her best to convince her parents into accepting his proposal, but Percy had also made plans to do so as well. If the Chase family were to entrust their daughter to him, he had to prove his trustworthiness. That started with shutting down any rumors of him being a playboy.

Not only would such stupid gossip affect Annabeth's reputation as his future wife, Percy was starting to get worried if such false rumors made its way to his mother's ears. She would be so disappointed in such scandals and be anxious for him. Percy had already not made his mother's life easier as a rebellious teenager back in the days.