chapter six

"My father was a brave and strong man," Eunji began her speech, her younger siblings eagerly watching her

"My father was a brave and strong man," Eunji began her speech, her younger siblings eagerly watching her. "He was extremely successful and kind, and worked hard for us to have the life we have today."

Minji began to zone out on her sister's speech, too focused on the flashing of the cameras behind her to even fathom what Eunji was saying. She wanted nothing more than to storm over and shout in the reporter's faces for being so heartless, but she couldn't be bothered to stand up, let alone argue and shout in a one-sided argument. 

Ever since that day, Minji hadn't been her usual energetic self. It wasn't that she was upset over her father's death... more that she really didn't think she could begin to fathom it. All it felt like was him being gone on another work trip... except this time, it was 6 feet underground. 

On top of the sad feeling in her chest, Minji couldn't stand the fact that Jimin had brought Sunghoon and Heeseung to the funeral as well. It was supposed to be a time for her to grieve... but with them around, she felt like she couldn't. 

Soon enough, the service was over and it was time to eat. Minji quickly got her plate before sitting down at a table alone, Jimin, Heeseung, and Sunghoon shortly coming over right after. Jimin and Heeseung both sat on the other side of Minji, while Sunghoon sat next to Jimin. 

"I'm sorry about your dad," Heeseung spoke up as Jimin and Sunghoon turned to talk to each other. 

"Thanks?" Minji shrugged, unsure of what to say. "I... don't really know what to say to that."

"Yeah, I just didn't really know what to say to you." He shrugged nervously. "I get scared to talk to you sometimes."

"Why are you suddenly being so nice?" Minji cut straight to the point, taking Heeseung by surprise. 

"Well... I--I don't really know, actually. I guess I just realized that I never actually meant any of what I said." He nodded nervously. "I just... yeah."

"Well, you still said it," Minji replied stiffly. 

"I know, I know," Heeseung hurriedly nodded. "I just want to make it up to you. I feel really bad about it, I never knew that it hurt you so much when I'd say those things."

"Of course it did!" Minji exclaimed with a fake chuckle. "You're my brother's best friend and I--I... looked up to you. Then you pointed out all of the things I hated about myself, it felt terrible."

"Minji, I'm so sorry." He nodded. "I never meant any of it, truly. In fact, I probably thought the opposite of what I actually said."

"Like what?" Minji scoffed, still not believing him. 

"Well... that you're stupid. You're actually pretty smart. And that you have an ugly crying face, or an ugly eating face, or an ugly face in general. When you're crying your face gets all puffy and you look even cuter, and when you're eating you remind me of a squirrel in the best way possible. And even when you're just reading something... or listening to people talk... you do this thing where you raise your eyebrows and give tiny nods to show people you're listening... it's really sweet." He ranted, forgetting that he was talking to the person he was obsessing over while talking. 

"Why... why do you know all this?" Minji mumbled, surprised by everything he had just said. 

"Because I--we--we grew up together," Heeseung shrugged, not wanting to admit that he was in love with Minji. 

"So? I don't even know Jimin's favorite color, you know habits I didn't even know I did..." She trailed off, still not believing him. 

"That's not the important part." He shook it off. "I just want to treat you better... I wanna be friends." and more. He wanted to add... but he knew he couldn't. Not only would admitting his feelings for Minji probably make this conversation even worse, but they were also at a funeral, which probably wasn't the best place to confess his love for the girl. 

What about more? Minji wanted to question... but she couldn't. Heeseung was finally starting to treat her like a real person, and admitting her crush for him would probably just scare him away. On top of that, she was at her father's funeral with her brother sitting directly next to her, so it probably wasn't the best choice to respond with that. 

"Okay." She responded instead. "Just please don't act like Sunghoon." She quickly whispered, making sure the boy wasn't paying attention. 

"Don't worry, I won't," Heeseung chuckled with a smile. "By the way... are you free this weekend?"

 are you free this weekend?"