chapter five

"What's wrong with dad?" Jimin quickly asked, his angered demeanor slowly changing into one filled with worry

"What do you mean what's wrong, I just told you he got shot!" Minji scolded, slapping his arm. 

"Well, either he got shot and is dead or he got shot and is better, which one?" Jimin replied. 

"He got shot and is still being treated, that's what happened," Minji rolled her eyes. "If he's stable enough, he's being flown back here to rest--"

"If? Don't you mean when--"

"See, this is why Eunji told me and Jihoon not to tell you!" Minji exclaimed. "She knew you would over-react!"

"Overreact? Our father got shot, Minji! What do you mean I'm overreacting, if anything you're under-reacting!" Jimin shook his head. 

"It's just dad." She shrugged. "All he did was feed us--"

"Which is a hell of a lot more than mom ever did, but you miss her all the time!" After the words slipped out of Jimin's mouth, he instantly regretted it, seeing the deadly look on his sister's face. 

"First of all, I never said I missed her, I said I wished I had gotten the opportunity to meet her. Secondly, she was too busy being dead in a ditch to buy us food after dad left her drunk and alone at a bar! Mom wasn't a saint, but her death was dad's fault... so all I can say is karma," Minji scolded, feeling the tears stinging her eyes. "Stop the car."

"After you just said your mom died in a ditch on the side of a road?" Heeseung questioned, giving her an unbelieving expression, although the seriousness on her face didn't falter. 

"You forgot the part where my mother was extremely intoxicated and 5'0" with an inability to defend herself and no pepper spray. I'm unfortunately sober, 5'6", a boxer of 3 years, and I always have pepper spray, now let me out!" 

With that, Heeseung pulled over to the side of the road, Minji barely waiting for the car to stop before opening the door and beginning to walk back to the university for her next class. She ignored the starving feeling in her stomach, too prideful and angry to ignore her brother's comment. 

"Minji, you haven't eaten all day!" Heeseung shouted after her. 

"Why do you care?" Minji snapped, tears beginning to roll down her cheek. "Don't I have an ugly eating face? And an ugly crying face? And just an ugly face in general?"

"Minji--"

"I'll buy a snack from a vending machine or something." She grumbled, continuing to walk as she stuffed her hands into her pocket. 

Nevertheless, Heeseung continued to slowly follow the girl in his car down the street, both him and Jimin trying to get her attention while Sunghoon continued playing games on his phone. Minji's angry walk was soon interrupted by a phone call from none other than Eunji, so Minji hurried to pick up the phone, expecting to hear good news about her father. 

"Minji..." Eunji trailed off. "You may want to call out for the rest of the week."

"No," Minji whispered, her eyes widening in fear. "Eunji..."

"The bullet hit his heart. They couldn't save him." Her sister sighed. "I can pick you up--"

"No," Minji shook her head. "We'll get a ride."

And with that, Minji hung up the phone before rushing over to the car, pulling open the door before giving Jimin a giant hug as she sobbed into his jacket. He completely ignored the angered side of him as just tried to calm her down, rubbing her hair and shushing her softly. 

"He--he--"

"I know, Minji," Jimin nodded, understanding why his sister was crying. "Hee, can you take us home, please?"

"Yeah," Heeseung nodded, shutting the door that Minji left open before continuing to drive down the residential street until reaching the Yang residence. 

"Do you want help?" Heeseung asked, noticing how Jimin was struggling to get out of the car as his sister latched onto him like a leech. 

"Yeah," Jimin nodded, winching as she accidentally stabbed him with her earring. 

"Here," Heeseung mumbled, grabbing onto Minji's arms and pulling her off of him before helping her walk to the door of the house. 

"I don't get you." She mumbled into his jacket. 

"Why not?" Heeseung chuckled.

"Because one minute you're nice, the next minute you're calling me a dumbass," Minji replied. 

"I don't mean it, you know?" He whispered back. "I just didn't know how to act when we first met, and it felt weird to change it after a while... so I just continued being a jerk."

"Well, you shouldn't," Minji shook her head. "You're actually pretty nice when you try."

"Do you want me to be nicer to you then?" Heeseung laughed, Minji nodding in response. "Okay. It'll be your birthday present from me."

"That'd be great."

And with that, Jimin and Minji trudged on into their home, instantly wrapping their siblings in a hug after Heeseung shut the door behind them. It was silent, the only sound heard being Minji's heavy breathing and sniffling from crying so much on the way to the house.