Ch 14: The Return of Dr. Light

Start from the beginning

"Food is almost ready I promise" I said.

Dick came up behind me kissing the crook of my neck.

"You need a shower" I whispered.

He chuckled walking to the fridge. I grabbed three plates from the cupboard putting food on each one. I levitated the plates in front of each kid. Sometime later I sat on the couch staring at the fire. I walked towards it grabbing the book that laid on top of it. I wiped the thick layer of dust off the top staring at the title. I smiled walking back to the couch. I opened the book running my fingers over the words written on the front page.

"Property of Garth" I whispered.

I looked up watching Dick make pizza.

"Why does it smell so bad?" I asked.

"It's a surprise" he said.

"Oh great I love surprises" I said.

I got up walking to the kitchen. I looked at the pizza examining the crust.

"Why does it look like that?" I asked.

"It's cauliflower" he said.

"I think the kids will love it" I said.

He rolled his eyes pushing my hair back behind my ear.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you look today?" He asked.

"No, but you never were big on compliments" I said.

"Things change" he whispered putting his hand behind my neck pulling me towards him. "You'd look better with your-"

"Um first of all gross" Gar said standing in the kitchen.

I smiled at Dick putting my hand on his chest before pushing him away. I walked past Gar ruffling his hair. I sat back on the couch looking at the book once more. I began reading it being pulled into the book. I jumped as Dick sat beside me.

"Are you sure you should be reading that?" He asked. "It was Garth's."

I was about to respond when a helicopter flashed it's bright lights into the windows.

"What the hell?" I asked standing up.

Rachel turned on the tv as a special news alert was on.

"Who the hell is that?" Rachel asked as the footage focused on a young girl with white hair.

"A total badass" Jason said.

I turned to Dick who eyes were glued to the tv. The girl jumped off the roof and into another building.

"I'll be back" Dick said walking away.

I quickly followed him grabbing his arm.

"Are you really going out to look for her?" I asked.

"She needs our help" he said.

"And how do you know that?" I asked. "We don't know her."

"You didn't know Rachel and you helped her" he said.

"She called for me, that's different" I said. "You saw that girl fight, you don't know why she's being chased."

He walked away without saying another word. I grabbed my head before punching a hole in the wall. I sighed holding my hand out as it glowed fixing the hole. I sat on the couch with Gar next to me as he clicked through channels.

"Pick a show to watch" I said.

"Sorry" he said.

He grabbed the bowl of popcorn holding it out for me.

"I'm good" I smiled.

I looked at the boy smiling at his green hair.

"Are you really okay?" I asked.

"Yeah why?" He asked.

"I know you're not, after everything that happened in that house" I said. "I can't even put into words how sorry I am."

"You have nothing to be sorry for" he said. "You didn't do anything. When Trigon ordered everyone to kill me, you were the only one who seemed to be fighting back."

"I'm still sorry it happened. I'm just glad you're okay and here" I said.

He smiled nodding. I turned my head as Dick came in with the girl unconscious in his arms. 

"What the fuck did you do?" I asked.

"She was already passed out" he said. "Probably from jumping into that building."

He put the girl into one of the inhabited rooms. I followed him to the security room, sitting at the chair looking at the cameras. Dick's phone began ringing as he quickly picked it up.

"Hank?" He answered. "Are you okay?"

He paused listening to Hank.

"You sure it was Dr. Light?" He asked.

My breath hitched realizing the energy I felt was Dr. Light.

"Alright, I'm sorry. It's just, I thought he was still in prison" he said. "This is bad."

"Tell them they need to come here" I said.

"You guys should come here. We should get together to figure this out" he said.

He hung up the phone looking to the camera of the room then me.

"How the hell did he get out?" I asked.

I turned back to the cameras to see the girl at the elevator.