3| Storage Unit

I pull into the church, turning to Kory. We walk up to the door, I look around getting an eerie feeling from the place. Kory rings the doorbell as a woman appears almost instantly recognizing her.

"Hello how can I help- you're back. My lord it can't be" she says. "Is this her? Oh look how big you've grown. It's been so long my child."

Rachel seems a bit confused as we walk inside. The woman leads us to a room. I walk around as she talks with Rachel and Kory.

"You don't remember anything?" 

"Not a thing. Only that I was looking for-" 

"Her." She interrupts Kory. 

"Did I say why?" 

"You came here a year ago and said only that she was in danger, that they had found her." 

I zone out staring at the books on the shelves, tracing my fingers along the shelf. Rachel turns to me as I smile slightly. The woman smiles and stands up. Rachel leads the way as we walk the hall.

"Your old room is at the end."

"What were you saying? Who was chasing Rachel and her mother?" 

"When she was brought to us, apparently Rachel was hiding from her father" she says. "I don't know the details. All I know is that her mother was frightened, and convinced that her and the baby were in danger. The young woman's fear was quite convincing."

"Do you know the father?"I ask. "Did he ever come looking for her?" 

The woman shakes her head. She opens the door for Rachel for her to look around.

"What now?" 

"Thought I'd find the answers here."

"I'll help you."

"Thank you" she says. "I feel danger and I know I can't let her out of my sight."

"I feel it too."

"I just don't know why."

Kory pulls out a key showing it to the woman. I continue to look around. This is a place full of nuns but I can't help but think this isn't the right place for Rachel to be. 

"That's Scooter's Palace down the street. Lively place, you young people would love it."

I turn to Kory who is already looking at me. I smirk as we walk to my car. Rachel runs to the backseat smiling. I drive down the street, looking around.

"I heard what Rachel said about you" Kory says. "Who is this Superman?"

"He's one of Earth's greatest protectors." Rachel smiles with excitement behind her eyes. 

The people of the world will never know the pain I felt when he died. They mourned him but they didn't know him. 

"He was my dad."

"And your mother?" 

"She was a superhero too. She didn't want me though" I say. "She's somewhere in New York I presume. What about you, any family problems?"

"No. I can't remember a thing."

I follow her into the place as she walks towards the lockers. I stop at the counter to get Rachel food. I wait until the order is ready, bringing the tray to the table Rachel is sitting at. 

"You know it wasn't that hard to figure out."

"What wasn't?" 

"Supergirl" she says. "I can feel your energy."