1.4

I smile as we walk in looking around

"It's really nice in here."

"Yeah, I've lived here for a couple of years, it's a little far from the lab, but I don't want to move. Emily go upstairs and play in your room, I'll start dinner and get you when it's time to wash up and eat." Elijah says, and she nods going upstairs, he leads me to the kitchen and begins getting things out as I sat at the island table.

"Thank you, by the way..." I said 

"For?"

"For... Helping me cover my face earlier... I really appreciate it." I say and he turns and smiles softly.

"Of course Liam." He says, and I feel my face heat up, so I look down at the table.

"What are you going to make?" I ask as I trace my finger around the marble lines.

"Teriyaki chicken with rice and veggies, I may add a salad but is that ok?" He asks, and I nod, I eventually look up and watch him begin cooking. He is good at it. Or at least it looks like he enjoys it.

"Hey Elijah?"

"Yes?"

"Um... I was just curious, and I am sorry if this is personal you don't have to answer but why did your wife, and you split?" He didn't answer for a while, I thought I may have crossed a line before he turned to me.

"She got annoyed that I worked so much, that I worked at the lab, and with my patients from early morning to late nights, now days I have a lot less patients because I have Emily, but she got... Bitchy, I wouldn't ever call a woman that, but she became a bitch, my mother would surely hit me across the head if she heard my say that." He chuckled, taking a breath

"She got real mean, and she hated that I worked there, wanted me to quit, get a 'normal' job, but I didn't listen, even tried to convince her to go to therapy with me, I didn't want my daughter to grow up without her momma, but she left, she didn't even want to take me to court for Emily either, she left when Emily was only 1 and never came back, I mean she sends a letter every once in a while, I do show them to Emily, but she doesn't even ask about her, I am kinda glad about that, she doesn't care clearly." He says, and I frown.

"Who does that to their own child?"

"Beats me, It was so weird. I should have seen the signs, I guess I was blinded by the happiness of wanting a child, and finally going to get one, have a family of my own, but once she started getting meaner and left, I started realizing all the things she did, that she seemed so unhappy to be pregnant... Even found a pamphlet for abortion clinics, found some search history about it too on my laptop." I frowned, getting up from the chair and going to hug him.

"I-i'm sorry for hugging you, just... I don't know how else to say sorry I guess, and I wish you found someone who loved you" I said pulling away, he turned to me, and he smiled, I flinched a bit when I felt his hand on my cheek

"I'm ok now, Plus I have Emily... and yo-" 

"DADDY! I'm hungry is dinner ready?" I hear Emily, he sighs and pulls away from me crossing his arms and I went back to sit down.

"Yes, yes calm down, was your hands and go sit." He says, and she runs to the sink, standing on a stool, washing her hands, then coming to sit next to me, we watched as he made 3 plates and gave two to us, he sat next to Emily and helped her eat a bit and I smiled. He is a really good dad.

-----

"Thank you... For inviting me. Or more I guess your daughter, but thank you for letting me eat with you guys." I said and he laughed and smiled.

"You should come over again, Emily loves you." He says, and I smile and nod, waving and running up the stairs to my apartment. Opening the door. I smile and close it, feeling a giddy feeling I haven't felt in a long time, we were so close, I wanted to kiss him, but I mean I am sure he was just being nice like usual, he always is... But I still can't help but feel my heart just race.

-----

"C'mon you're telling me you haven't gone out to somewhere and danced once?"

"Nope"

"Oh c'mon, not prom? A club? Wedding? Nothing? Wait wait no you have had to! You like have to dance at your wedding!" I said and he snickered

"We didn't have a big fancy wedding, so there was no dancing Liam." Elijah said snickering

"That's crazy, I mean what else haven't you done?"

"Probably lots of things, but I am getting old and wrinkly, won't be able to do much soon" He said, and I laughed hitting his arm

"Not true! You are like barley 30! You are a very handsome young man" I said, and he smirked

"Why are you still talking anyway, huh? I told you to shush, your jaw has gotten much worse because of your blabbering" He says

I sigh

"It's not like it's going to get any better, what is the point?" I ask, I just see him frown and turn away. But he never answered, So I went back to my seat and got on my phone. Lily invited me to go out, so I replied with 'yes sir', and before I knew it I saw her babbling messages on and on about stop calling her sir, and how she is a pristine pretty little lady, that just because she has a mustache don't make her a man. 

It's funny how cranky she gets from it, I think it's amusing. 

-----

"So how are all of your tests going?"

"Eh... It's the same thing, taking random ass meds, taking my blood, tests, all that, but I got to meet Elijah's daughter"

"Oh my god he is a DILF?!"

"Oh my god don't call him that! I don't even know if he can be called that!" I said, and she laughed looking something up onto her phone.

"An attractive older man, usually a father, who is regarded as a sexual object. See I was right!"

I roll my eyes and hit her

"Yeah well he isn't just a sexual object to me, you little brat. He is a lot more. I mean yes he is very, very hot, but I mean that isn't the only thing I like about him. A little while ago when I went to his home to have dinner, since his daughter wanted me to come, he hid my face in his chest while he walked because I forgot my mask, he is just really sweet and caring." I say, and I see Lily smiling

"When are you going to ask him out!" She yells and I smile sadly

"Lily you know I can't" I say, and her smile drops a bit, biting her lip but nodding.

The sad sad truth, I can't have him. I never could to begin with. But I hope one day someone will catch his eye, he will fall in love and have his happy ending.

A/N, How are you enjoying the story? Is it any good?

Word Count: 1267