"We've made progress on the... situation." He glances back over at me warily.

It amazes me how Aleksander can change from a gentle, open man to an emotionless King so quickly. His tone is diplomatic and restrained.

"Fine. I will be with you in a minute," he tells Ivan. Then Aleksander promptly shuts the door in his face.

I am tempted to ask what the "situation" is, but I don't want to ruin the decent morning I've had so far by starting another fight with the Darkling. I just hope that I do not come to regret not asking one day.

        I say, "I will go to the Little Palace to ask Amelia if she wants to stay here with us."

He walks over to where I am positioned on the bed. The Darkling leans down and kisses me longingly. He rests his chin on my head and mumbles, "be back by this evening."

        "I will," I promise him.

        He kisses me once more before going to get dressed in his elegant black kefta.

"See you tonight," he says before leaving the room. I sit on the bed for a moment, deep in thought.

        It is odd... He is my enemy, yet I have never felt so whole until now. I always got the suspicion that I was meant for more. The Darkling fills the empty hole in my chest that only grew when I was with Mal. I thought he was the right one. Mal always made me feel safe and protected. But with Aleksander, I feel like I do not need protection. I finally believe that I am powerful enough to defend myself. Oddly enough, he is also the one that has compelled me to fear for my safety. To say I am a mess of emotions would be an understatement.

***

        I arrive at the Little Palace around mid-morning. The sun is well above the skyline and it shines through the colorful autumn trees. The breeze is brisk, giving a warning that winter is near.

        I do not see Amelia in the courtyard or near the lake, so I go inside to look around. I find a clique of older Grisha, I estimate around fifteen or sixteen, chatting with each other. I approach them and ask, "do you know if a little Squaller, Amelia, is around? She has blue eyes and curly blond hair."

        The group's eyes widen and they curtsy and bow. "Sol koroleva," one boy says. "Yes, I believe she is in there." He points down the hall to the kitchen.

        "Thank you very much," I say pleasantly. Then, I begin to walk down the hall, leaving the group of Grisha in shock. I suppose the previous Queen rarely paid visits to the Little Palace.

        In the kitchen, I walk into a troubling situation. I find Amelia, however, she is surrounded by a group of older kids.

        "Stop spreading lies that you know the Queen. You just want attention," one child says.

        Another kid pipes in and says, "yeah! You will never be anything more than a Keramzin girl." He has red hair and freckles across his nose, as well as a tall and slim structure.

        I walk behind the children surrounding her and proclaim, "And what is wrong with a girl from Keramzin?"

        They all whip their heads around at once and stare at me in disbelief.

        The red-haired kid bumbles, "I-I mean- I meant... I didn't say-"

        "I heard what you said," I cut him off. "Keramzin may not be much, but it has produced a Sun Summoner, a Queen, and a very talented, young Squaller." Amelia has broken through the circle of Grisha to take my outstretched hand. She has a proud expression. "Never judge a person by the place that they originated from.