Unsafe Part 1

It was right there. Staring you square in the face. How could this happen? You were so careful? You were sure your parents would disown you. How could up you? Their precious daughter had gone and gotten herself knocked up, and by the Duke of Atreides, no less.

The test burned holes into yours eyes, they stung with tears, yet your couldn't look away. You just couldn't. Hands shaking, you rubbed your abdomen.

You finally admitted it to yourself. 'I'm... pregnant...'

Then it hit you like a train, your breathing started to become more and more rapid. Your heart pumped blood around your body three times as fast, the room started to spin and your head felt light. 

How could this happen? You and Paul were so careful, you took your morning after pills and he used protection. You always made sure to pull out just before so that something like this wouldn't happen. Something like this shouldn't happen.

After all, you're only a maid, a cleaner who knew Paul since you both were in diapers, but as he lived jn luxury, you lived by the scraps of his family. You know that openly being known as Paul's girlfriend, the love of his life, would most likely horrendously damage your already broken family, and the Atreides family would surly go under.

Your situation was a bit like Romeo and Juliet, but with social standings, and the death penalty in the mix. 

Tears fell from your eyes like a blizzard as you screamed in pain. There was no way that this could happen. 

There was one thing to do. You slipped on your shoes and sprinted out of your small home. Your feet ran as fast as possible to find your mount, a large Gypsy called Gus. He was already saddled from a ride that you took not an hour ago to get the test, using your mother having her ninth baby as an excuse. 

You kicked Gus on and he moved into a steady but fast canter as you guided him through the town and to the Palace, pregnancy test still in hand. 

Nothing could be heard through the blood pumping in your ears as you hastily put Gus into a stall and threw off his tack and sprinted into the palace through the surveys access. Racing through the maintenance  tunnels as though your life depended on it, which it technically did, you weaved your way through doors and gateways until you reached the East wing where the bedrooms were located. 

Calming your breathing down, you pretended to be on your way to Paul's room out of a summons.

You knocked on the door, not even knowing whether Paul was in there or not.

'Yes?' The familiar voice of Paul Atreides  sounded. You slowly opened the door and went inside.

His black mop of hair was over his face as he was hunched over a thick book. He was reading, as always.

'Y/n! I didn't expect to see you today.' Paul chirped as a large smile fled across his face.

'I didn't expect to come here.' Your voice was shaky as you tried to calm yourself down.

'Is there something wrong?' Paul stood up, now conceded that the love of his life seemed so unstable 

You stared blankly at him. Your heart beating like crazy out of your chest.

'I'm not sure I am.' You manage to whisper. 'Neither are you.'

'What do you mean?' Paul asked, the palm of his hand lovingly cupped your cheek.

You tried to get the words out, you tried to tell him the news, but you couldn't. You reached into your pocket and grabbed the test.

'I'm so sorry, my love.' You whisper.