FINAL

'You can't get into Wuying!' Evelyn told her sister. 'Come on, you've got to be kidding me. Just because Jiaqi got in you think you can too?'

'Well he just worked hard. And if I can work hard, I guess I can make it too.'

'Dad can't even afford Wuying.'

'Then I'm gonna get student loans.' Ava answered. 'In fact, I'm going to start working now.'

It wasn't that she was so desperate to get into Wuying, but she wanted to be close to Jiaqi as much as possible. She understood why he had ignored her message, he was probably busy. He would probably continue to be busy in the future, and the only way she could be around him was if she got into Wuying University.

'Gosh you're crazy.' Evelyn told her. 'Good luck.'

Within those two years she had at school, Ava worked as hard as she could. Her father was surprised to see her working that hard, but he was proud at the same time. He started to treat the girls better after he had had his final talk with Mrs. Ma, and the family of three got closer as well.

Ava wondered if Jiaqi would be the same when she finally arrived at Wuying and joined him, but she had no doubt. Even though they didn't communicate anymore, she trusted that he was still the same person.

Evelyn continuously tried to talk her out of it, but Ava wanted to be around Jiaqi as much as possible. He was one of the people who made her the most happy in her life.

...

Two years from the day Jiaqi had arrived at Wuying University campus, Ava was the next person to show up at the same university. She looked at the marvelous building in awe, and she couldn't believe she was going to study there for the next four years.

'Wow this place is great,' Michael commented as he looked around. 'I don't know how I would have been able to afford this without those student loans.'

'Can I visit you a lot?' Evelyn commented next.

'No you didn't get into college. Don't you think it's time you focus on your studies?' Michael censured her.

'Dad don't be such a killjoy.' Evelyn rolled her eyes.

She spent a few more hours with her family, before they took the taxi and left for home. The sun was setting and Evelyn had to retreat to her dorm, but she wasn't going to do that until she met Jiaqi.

'Excuse me.' She said to one male student with her suitcase in the hand. 'Do you know Ma Jiaqi?'

'Ma Jiaqi the one doing Psychology and Counseling? Yeah.' The student nodded.

Ava smiled excitedly, her heart beginning to beat quickly with excitement. 'Do you know where he is? Where can I find him?'

'His room on campus.' the boy told her, pointing at a building. 'Just go to the third male dorm, room number 5. You're likely to find him there if he's not in the library.'

'Thank you so much.' Ava said happily and started to run over to the building. She almost bumped into some male students as they left the dorm. They looked at her in surprise but she didn't care. She kept running until she finally stopped at room number 5.

She suddenly felt nervous. She wondered if she looked okay. It had been two years since they had seen each other, it was almost like making another first impression.

'No that one was lame.' Jiaqi's familiar voice said inside. 'The first one was better.'

The sound of his voice was enough to make her overly excited.

'I don't know. I liked the sequel more.' a male voice answered, probably his roommate.

Ava nervously placed her hand on the door, then knocked. She was shaking, and it embarrassed her to see what a mess she was.

'It's open!' Jiaqi answered from inside.

Ava took a deep breath then slowly opened the door. Her eyes first fell on Jiaqi, then to the girl sitting next to him on his bed. The designer label clothes; it was someone so familiar – it was Janine.

'Ava?' Jiaqi asked her with surprise. 'Is it you?'

She nodded, but was confused with what she was seeing in front of her.

'You got into Wuying!?' Jiaqi asked her half-excited and half-shocked.

'Ye – yes.' she stammered then looked at Janine. 'She got into Wuying too?'

Both Jiaqi and Janine laughed, and Jiaqi's roommate laughed along with them.

'I wouldn't get into Wuying in a million years,' Janine answered her. 'I'm just here to see my boyfriend.'

Ava looked at Jiaqi's roommate, hoping it was him who was her boyfriend. 'You mean him?'

'I mean Jiaqi.' Janine shattered Ava's hope.

Jiaqi could see the look of disappointment on her face, and he started to feel uncomfortable.

'Oh...that's so great. I'm so happy for you.' Ava forced herself to say. 'I should probably go to my dorm now, it's getting dark.'

Ava walked out of the door and started to leave. She felt like crying, and she felt like going back home. But she knew she couldn't. Perhaps it was all her fault for believing that Jiaqi would be single for the entire 2 years. He wasn't waiting for her, she just made herself think that he would like her the same even when he was in college.

'Ava.' Jiaqi said as he walked towards her, before she had exited the male's dorms. 'I'm...I'm sorry.'

'For what?' she asked him with wet eyes.

'For...that.

'I don't understand,' she started to cry, 'you said you were so busy with school and you wouldn't have time for anything else, how did you have time for Janine who doesn't even learn here? You ignored my messages even when you got into college and I thought maybe it's cause you're busy...'

'Listen, you and I weren't going to work. I loved you but...' he shook his head. 'Just don't misunderstand me. It's not like I left you for Janine or something.'

'That's how it seems.' she sighed.

'But it's not,'

'It's your life. It's not any of my business. Either way, thank you for what you've done for me. Thank you for changing me and making me experience for the first time what it means to have a friend. I guess...I wouldn't have made it this far without you.'

Jiaqi suddenly felt emotional. Over the years, he thought he had forgotten about Ava. But the emotions still felt fresh. 'I think I can say the same for you. And I'm sorry. This was the right thing to do.'

Ava simply nodded. 'I really have to go.' She turned around, desperately wanting to hide her tears. It felt like her life had been crushed in a matter of minutes. She turned around for a moment, noticing that Jiaqi was still standing where he was standing, watching her as she left.

'But most of all Jiaqi, you taught me forgiveness just like you forgave me and Janine. You taught me not to become bitter when people hurt us, and not to become like our parents.' She thought to herself then turned around once more, forcing a smile at him.

Jiaqi smiled back, assuring himself that he had done the right thing. Even though he felt like going after her and talking to her, the words from his mother still echoed in his mind.

He returned to his room and sat next to his girlfriend once again, trying to involve himself in the conversation one more.

THE END

A/N: Sorry for the not exactly happy ending but I didn't promise y'all a happy ending!