Nineteen

Ava felt a bit angry at herself as she sat down on her bed that evening. It seemed for sure that her crush on Jiaqi had returned, and she wasn't sure if she wanted that to happen. She had always had a crush on him, but crushing on him while he was a good boy made her feel stupid.

As she sat there going through photos in her gallery, the screen of her phone changed to a phone call. She read the contact then answered the phone.

'Hey Janine, what's up? Long time.' She answered.

Just then, her sister entered the room with a laundry basket that had her clothes in it. She had heard Ava's salutation to Janine before she had entered, and she was surprised more than anyone to hear Ava talking to Janine. As far as Evelyn knew, Ava and Janine were never friends while Janine attended the high school.

'What? – No.' Ava continued to speak on the phone. 'Yeah thanks. Goodnight.' she concluded and put her cellphone on the bed.

'What was that conversation about!?' Evelyn asked curiously, almost pryingly.

'Oh it was just Janine asking about some stuff.' Ava dismissed her and continued to go through her gallery.

'Hmm,' Evelyn replied suspiciously and sat down on her bed. But she didn't have time to really care about what Ava was talking with Janine about, at least not that time. She was more interested in waiting for the music video release of her favorite K-pop band.

"Hey goodnight," Jiaqi's message popped up at the top of her screen.

Ava slightly smiled to herself, but she didn't reply. She didn't want to confirm to herself that she once again had a crush on him, even though she knew she did. She simply swiped the message away.

...

On Monday, Ava sat with Jiaqi at lunch. This time he didn't have to remind her, but she already had a feeling that they would sit together. It was soon becoming a daily experience for them.

'I can't believe Jiaqi went as low as to sit with that girl!' Yaowen spoke bitterly. 'What a jerk.'

'I know right, it's better to sit alone than to sit with her.' Yaxuan commented next.

'Well he's only sitting with her because he's her counselor,' Chengxin felt like he had to clarify the matter, and he turned to them. 'Actually, he's doing a good job.'

'Do you think he can change anyone when he himself is just putting it out as an act? I mean we only have 4 months until we graduate, I guess I would also want to make a good last impression too.' Haoxiang commented. 'Especially considering the fact that I almost killed someone. He doesn't want to be known for that when he gets to college.'

'That oddly makes sense,' Junlin agreed.

But Chengxin had a feeling that it wasn't an act, he was too dedicated.

Evelyn walked over to the pair of Jiaqi and Ava with her tray. She smiled at the two of them, and they both looked at her with surprise, although Jiaqi managed to smile back at her a while later.

'I'm sorry to interrupt but I really need someone to talk to.' She looked directly at Jiaqi.

'Oh but I'm not your counselor,' he told her calmly. 'Chengxin is. Tell him to help you out.'

'Chengxin doesn't help anyone,' Evelyn looked in his direction and rolled her eyes.

'Then I told you to tell Steve to switch your counselor. Cause I also don't think it's fair on you to...'

'Please...I don't think there's anyone who does a good job like you.' she pleaded. 'I mean look at what you're doing for Ava, she's happier and a bit nicer.'