Fifteen

Ava and Evelyn walked into the school halls that morning. Although Evelyn was talking to her friend Sarah, Ava was following closely behind them. All she wanted to do was get into class and witness another boring day.

Jiaqi and Chengxin were standing somewhere near the drinking fountain, and Jiaqi immediately noticed Ava as she walked with her sister through the halls to get into their classroom.

Jiaqi slightly smiled to himself at her presence.

'Wow you're the best counselor ever,' Chengxin side commented and shook his head.

'Hey!' Jiaqi waved his hand to Ava and walked over to her.

Evelyn looked expectantly at Chengxin, expecting him to walk over to her just like his counterpart had, but he didn't. Instead, he was now looking at his cellphone which he had just taken out of his pocket.

'So I guess we're sitting together at lunch again today,' he peered over to Evelyn, just to make sure she didn't get the wrong idea, 'for counselor duties of course.'

'Right!' Evelyn quickly answered. 'Why doesn't Chengxin sit with me? He's never even talked to me since we met in the meeting.'

Jiaqi turned to Chengxin who had obviously heard her question. He looked up from his phone and looked up at her.

'Oh you know Jiaqi only sits with Ava because he has no one to sit with during lunch. So he has more time to perform his "counselor duties"'. Chengxin.

'But you don't even call or check up on me.' Evelyn continued to complain.

'Well yeah I'm busy.' Chengxin dismissed her. 'I gotta go to class now, catch you later Jiaqi.'

'Sure.'

Chengxin gave a thumbs up to Evelyn and walked away from the scene, leaving her disappointed.

'Hey you could report him to the chairperson for not helping with anything, I'm sure that will make him change.' Jiaqi assured her.

'No it's fine,' Evelyn forced a smile then turned to Ava. 'Hey borrow me your homework. I didn't do mine.'

'Cause you were busy texting last night?' Ava asked with a bored expression.

'Exactly,' Evelyn started to pull Ava's backpack off. 'Thank you!'

'Hey I didn't agree!' Ava attempted to return her backpack to her back before it completely ended up in Evelyn's arms.

Jiaqi chuckled. 'Just borrow her your homework before you guys start fighting again.'

'I know right.' Evelyn agreed with Jiaqi.

Ava glared at Jiaqi.

'It's for your own good, if you're caught fighting in the hallways again you'll get in trouble.' he added.

'Fine,' Ava submitted, letting Evelyn slide off her backpack from her back.

Evelyn ran off with Ava's backpack, getting into class to quickly copy the work.

...

The teacher stood in the front of the classroom and waited for the students to hand in their homework. He watched as multiple students went forward and left their work, then returned to their seats.

Ava checked her bag for her work and found it wasn't there, then remembered she had borrowed it to Evelyn. She was about to tap Evelyn's shoulder who sat in front of her, but Evelyn was in front submitting her work. Ava got up from her chair and started searching in Evelyn's desk, but there was nothing that belonged to her in it.