Chapter 42 - My Boyfriend

You wake up in the hospital one night. You're still in a lot of pain. Your arms and neck are bandaged. You look around and see Kiri sitting next to your bed, his head in his hands.

Y/N: "...k-kiri...?"

You voice is quiet and raspy. Kiri looks up, moves his chair closer and smiles at you. His eyes filling with tears.

Kiri: "Hey there, baby shark. You're awake... how do you feel?"

Y/N: "it... hurts..."

Tears slip down your face too.

Y/N: "kiri... what happened..."

He looks away from you.

Kiri: "You faced off against a villain. All by yourself... while I was trapped in the lodge. Vlad King wouldn't let the remedials leave. I tried to come to you. But he wouldn't let us..."

He turned back to you and wiped his face.

Kiri: "When the villains left, they... took Bakugo..."

Y/N: "i'm sorry... i know you considered him a friend..."

His face screws up in pain for a second.

Kiri: "Mr Aizawa, the remaining Pussycats and those of us who were uninjured went into the woods, looking for everyone. I ran straight in, looking for you. I found you passed out on the ground with really bad burns... next to Jiro."

You sit up quickly.

Y/N: "jiro. is she okay?"

Kiri: "Woah woah, slow down. Yes. She's alright. I'm assuming that's thanks to you. Her breathing was just affected a little because of the gas. But she'll be okay."

He gets out of his chair and sits on the edge of your bed. He smiles, trying to comfort you. Tears fill your eyes, and you start sobbing. It hurt but you couldn't help it.

Y/N: "i was so scared, kiri..."

Kiri: "I know... it's been tough, c'mere."

He gently pulls you into a hug.

Kiri: "But you've been a tough one too. Managing to face all those things? By yourself! Even without me, you were doing great! I've been so proud of you. You've... impressed me... I'm... happy and proud..."

He gently tilts your chin up.

Kiri: "Come on, baby shark. Won't you smile for me? I know it's been difficult. You've been feeling like the world is closing in on you. But, Y/N, let me tell you... it doesn't matter what you face! I'm going to make sure that it's okay... I'll make sure you're okay."

He gently rubs your back in silence for a minute. Then to your surprise, he starts singing to you. You knew this song. It was one of your favourites. You had never heard him sing before. His voice was beautiful. You let him finish before asking.

Y/N: "how did you..."

Kiri: "I hear you hum it to yourself. Most of the time, I think you don't realise you're doing it. It's cute."

You smile.

Kiri: "Hey, there's my girl. Listen, Y/N. After those thugs in that ally harassed you, I promised I'd never let anyone hurt you... I'm sorry I let you down..."

Y/N: "kiri..."

Kiri: "I'm not sure if I can bring myself to promise that again after this... but..."

He takes your hands in his and looks you in the eyes.

Kiri: "I will promise that I will always stay by your side! When you're happy and laughing, or when you're hurt and crying. I love you so much! Please allow me to be the one to stick by you through thick and thin!"

Tears slip down your cheek, but you're also smiling. You nodded.

Y/N: "kiri... can you sing to me again...?"

Kiri: "Anything to make you smile, Y/N."

He sings too you until one of the nurses comes to say visiting time is over. He stands up, leans down and kisses you.

Kiri: "I love you."

Y/N: "and i love you too..."

Kiri: "I'll be back tomorrow, okay?"

You smile and nod. He stands up and walks out of your room.

The next morning, you wake up and Kiri is already there sitting by your bed.

Kiri: "Morning, Y/N."

Y/N: "hey... how long have you been here?"

Kiri: "A couple hours. But I didn't want to wake you. How are you feeling?"

Y/N: "still hurts... but it's better than yesterday. and better now that you're here."

He grins and holds your hand, and gently strokes your head with the other.

Y/N: "... you know... these burns are going to leave scars..."

Kiri: "And...?"

Y/N: "they're not going to be pretty-"

Kiri: "Stop right there, missy! Scars or no scars, you're still my beautiful girl. That's never going to change."

Just as a small smile crosses your face, your door opens and in walks...

Y/N: "m-mum...?"

Mum: "Y/N!"

Kiri turns around to face her, a nervous smile on his face. He stands up.

Kiri: "H-hello, ma'am..."

Mum: "Oh, hello. Y/N... Who's this?"

Y/N: "mum, this is my frie- my boyfriend."

You thought your heart was going to pound right out of your chest. You had just told your mum, you have a boyfriend.

Mum: "B-boyfriend...?"

Kiri bows, still nervous.

Kiri: "Eijiro Kirishima, ma'am. Pleasure to meet you."

He straightens up.

Mum: "You're the one who's been making my daughter so happy...?"

Kiri: "I-i..."

Y/N: "yes. he is."

To your surprise and delight, your mum smiles at him and hugs him.

Mum: "Thank you..."

Kiri smiles.

Kiri: "Of course."

She lets go of him and they sit on either side of your bed.

Y/N: "I thought you wouldn't approve, mum."

Mum: "Not approve? Y/N, maybe that's how I was... but the truth is, I'll love and accept anyone who treats you right and makes you happy. And this young man looks like he does both those things."

You smile.

Y/N: "thanks, mum."