Chapter 35 - I'll Protect You

After class ends, you're asked by Mr Aizawa to take cleaning duty for the day. You organize the shelves of books, sweep the classroom, wipe off the desks, and you're off. Everyone else is mostly gone by now.

Y/T: 'Ah, Mum told me to grab milk for her again on my way home. I need to get going.'

You set off towards home. The sun is just beginning to set as you make your way down to the convenience store. You head inside the store. You immediately notice three men, probably a good ten years older than you, skulking around near the beer isle. They all look up at you when you walk in, and your stomach churns. You quickly make your way past them to the milk, feeling their eyes on you. You make your purchase and head out of the door, which shuts behind you with a heavy creak. Just seconds later, you hear the door creak open again, and close, the muffled sounds of footsteps behind you.

Y/T: 'Don't look. Just don't even look.'

Guy #1: "Hey."

Y/T: 'Maybe they're not talking to me...'

You quicken you pace, briskly cutting around a corner.

Y/T: 'Shit, this isn't a corner, it's a dead end...'

Guy #1: "Hey, cutie. I'm talking to you."

A dizzying shiver shoots through your spine. The rush of adrenaline follows. You slowly turn around.

Guy #1: "Where ya headed, cutie?"

All three of them are standing there, blocking your only exit. The one speaking is tall and thin, messy black hair shooting in all directions around his face. He's grinning.

Guy #1: "Looking to have some fun tonight?"

Y/N: "I... no, I... I'm just heading home from school..."

Guy #2: "Aww, stop, you're scaring her. Look at her. She's shaking."

They laugh.

Guy #1: "We're not gonna hurt you, cutie. We just wanna see if you wanted someone to walk you home. Can't be too careful. It's almost night time, when all the spooks come out to play."

They laugh again. The stranger walks closer to you. Combat training flies through your head.

Y/T: 'But I don't know what their quirks are... this could be really dangerous. I don't know if I can take on three at once, especially not knowing what they can do...'

As he gets closer, he leans down close to your face. You can smell the sticky stench of alcohol on his breath.

Guy #1: "Heey, you really are cute, especially from this close. C'mon, we just got another case of beer. Come play with us."

He reaches a hand towards you-

Kiri: "Hey!!!"

A gravelly voice echoes down the alleyway.

Kiri: "Get your hands off of her!"

Y/N: "Kiri!"

You shrug the stranger's hand off your shoulder and start to run to him, but the hand grabs you again, tightly.

Guy #1: "Hey, kid. This is none of your business. Fuck off."

Guy #2: "We're just talking to her. Chill out, bro."

Kiri: "Three grown men tormenting a high school girl? That's not very manly."

Kirishima crosses his arms, his head held high, one eyebrow raised. You've never seen him look so angry – yet so calm and in control of the situation. The stranger lets go you your shoulder and shoves you forward. You stumble a few steps and turn your head to the ground.