One

Esme groaned as she rolled over onto her back.

Music was blasting through the walls in her brother's room and she was just trying to go back to sleep.

Ethan had been home all summer and Esme wished he'd go back home. Apparently his girlfriend had dumped him and the twenty-two-year-old guy was too scared to go back to their flat and get his stuff.

He was also too scared to move on and find himself a new flat, secretly hoping that Beatrice would take him back.

When Ethan started singing along to the sad heartbreak song, Esme pulled a pillow over her face and screamed into it.

Then she threw it away and got out of bed.

"Ethan!" She screamed, marching out of her bedroom and down to her brother's room.

She barged in to see her brother lie on his back on his bed, belting the lyrics to 'Total eclipse of the heart" by Bonnie Tyler.

He sat up quickly, staring at his little sister who stood in the doorway, and then he pointed his wand to stop the music.

"It is eight in the fucking morning!" Esme exclaimed. "Would you keep it down, please?"

"Why?" He asked. "You're obviously awake."

"Because you woke me!" Esme exclaimed. "I've only gotten three hours of sleep you idiot!"

"And that's my fault?"

"Yes!" Esme screamed at him. "You've been up all night, doing Godric knows what in here. What even was it that kept hitting the wall at four?"

Ethan stood up and shrugged while he crossed his arms over his chest.

"It was my basketball."

Esme felt like she was going insane. Her brother had bounced a basketball off the walls while she had been trying to sleep.

"You don't even live here!" She found herself screaming and suddenly, Ethan found it very amusing to drive his little sister crazy just by existing.

He smirked and went to say something that would only drive her more mad, but then footsteps approached.

"What's going on up here?"

David walked down the hallway after hearing his children argue. He had just gotten home after a long night shift and he didn't have any energy to deal with his kids fighting.

"Ethan is being a jerk! Can you tell him to be quiet? I'm trying to sleep."

David sighed and looked at his son who was just very amused.

"Ethan..."

"I'll stay quiet." Ethan rolled his eyes at his sister. "My apologies."

Esme didn't like the attitude he had so she flipped him off and her father scolded her but she didn't care as she walked back to her room.

Though when she got back into bed, she suddenly couldn't fall asleep. She kept turning onto either one of her sides and when she finally gave up on trying, she cursed her older brother.

She got out of bed once again and found something to wear.

She dresses in a pair of high-waisted light blue jeans that were loose around her legs and to wear on her torso, she found her yellow jumper and tucked the front of it into her jeans.

She brushed her hair and used a bandana to tie it up in a high ponytail.

She was still strongly annoyed with her older brother but she tried brushing it off while she covered her fingers with rings, put on a different necklace than the one she wore yesterday and a small smile was visible on her lips as she put in the earrings that George had given her the previous Christmas.

Esme walked downstairs and on her way to the kitchen, she laid down the picture of her mother that stood on the side table next to the front door.

She laid it down each morning to hide her mother's face from view, but the next day, it had been put back up.

It was a constant fight between her and her brother.

Ethan was coping in a different way than Esme was. He liked looking at pictures of their mother, remembering her as she was but Esme hated it.

She refused to look at her or even to talk about her.

It hurt too much and the sixteen-year-old girl didn't know how to cope with death.

Her grandmother, her mother... Cedric too.

She didn't talk about any of them, because how could she?

Her grandmother had always read stories to her and Esme spent her childhood looking up to the older woman.

Her mother had been her role model. Esme always wanted to be just like her and now she was gone.

And Cedric... he was the first guy she ever liked. He was her first boyfriend and now he was simply gone.

How could the universe have allowed him to die at the age of seventeen?

Esme pushed the three people to the back of her mind, completely ignoring them as their faces kept surfacing.

She made herself some breakfast and as she ate, the only sound in the house was her father getting ready to go to sleep.

There was a bouquet of roses on the table and when Esme noticed them as new, she froze.

Roses were her mothers favourite.

David had bought them home after work.

Esme took a bite of her toast and stood up, grabbing the vase. She walked to one of the cupboards and his the roses in there so she didn't have to look at them and be reminded of her mother.

As she sat back down to continue her breakfast, Ethan walked into the kitchen, as confident as always.

"Don't you have practice?" Esme asked him while he pouted himself some pumpkin juice.

"Not today." He said. "And you? Are you gonna go hang out with George?"

Esme frowned at her older brother. She didn't understand the pressure on George's name.

"Why'd you say it like that?"

"Like what?"

She shrugged, looking at her brother who smirked while drinking the juice out of the glass he was holding.

"Not today, no." Esme decided to answer his question and she shook her head at the same time. "They're working on some products and I don't want to burden them, but I might ask Lee to hangout."

Ethan hummed and nodded at her before he walked over, taking a seat across from his little sister.

"You need to stop putting down the picture of mum."

Esme immediately scoffed. He couldn't tell her what to do.

"Esme, I'm not kidding."

"I don't want to look at her." Esme looked at Ethan who raised his eyebrows.

"She's our mum."

"She's dead."

"No shit Sherlock." Ethan snickered and leaned back in his chair. "How do you think dad will react if he notices?"

Esme didn't answer. She looked out of the window while she continuing eating.

"Maybe see a shrink." Ethan suggested, causing his sister to roll her eyes. "The way you're coping isn't healthy."

As he stood up, Esme looked at him and she started crying as she yelled at him.

"Everyone are dying!"

The outburst, caused Ethan to wince but then he noticed how much pain his sister truly was in.

"Grandma, mum, Cedric." Esme cried. "They keep dying and I'm scared, okay? I can't lose anyone else!"

Ethan hadn't seen his sister like this since their mum's death and he never knew what to do.

Even if feelings made him uncomfortable, he still walked around the table and crouched down to hug and comfort Esme.