Chapter 11. Desperation

- Doctor.- Fandral whispered.- Doctor, how is he?
- I did my best. I've tried to reduce his pain, but...
- But?- Fandral's heart sank.- Please, tell me he...
- I'm a doctor, not a wizard.- Stephen sighed.- It's a miracle he's still alive. But... He won't make it...
One week. A week and a half maximum. He'll die.
- No no no, he can't die, there has to be a way out.
- I am sorry.- Stephen said.- His lips...- he cleared his throat.- Couldn't even cut the damn stitches...
- Please.- Fandral breathed. Crying in front of the mortal. He'd never embarrassed himself like that.
- I did my best.- Stephen repeated.- Hey! You can go, check on him. Quickly. You have five minutes.
***
Fandral bit his lip hard and cringed at the taste of blood in his mouth. "I loved you... I idolised you"
- Gods...- Fandral sobbed.- Oh Gods, Loki... I love you too. So much. So damn much...- he burst into tears, resting his head against Loki's.- Don't leave me!- Fandral whispered.- Don't leave me! Please?
                    ***
- Hey baby boy.- Fandral smiled.- Mind if I join? Hey there...- he snapped his fingers, desperate to attract Loki's attention.- Hey! Princeling! Hello?
Hey... Loki-talky!- Fandral sang as he sat on the ground next to the trickster. Loki jerked away.- I exist! Talk to me or I'll tickle you to death. Loki...
- Fandral... What?- Loki got up, gritted his teeth.
- Nothing! I am just... Loki! Why are you crying?
- I'm not.- Loki sniffled.- Leave me. Leave me be.
- Loki? Wait!- Fandral yelled as Loki hurried up the corridor.- What happened? Loki? Talk to me!
- No... Nothing.- Loki stuttered.- Whatcha want?
- Loki, stop!- Fandral begged.- I'm just worried, really!- he lay his hand on Loki's shoulder.- C'me find a quiet place; no one should see their prince, their to-be-king in tears. Let me be your knight... Let me... Shelter you.- Fandral held out his hand.
- I...- Loki took a deep breath and turned around to look Fandral in the eye.- Ok. I took your hand.
Now... what? Where do you wanna go, Fandral?
- Another world. Another galaxy. Anywhere and anytime. Want it or not. I'll always be yours. My Prince. I go where you command. But for now...- Fandral whispered.- Let's go to your room, Loki.
                              ***
- There we go...- Fandral breathed as Loki sat on the edge of his bed.- So? Tell me what happened?
- W-why would I trust you?- Loki rolled his eyes.
- Why wouldn't you?- Fandral smirked.- Oi, c'me
on... What's the worst that could happen, really?
- Y... You'll torture me.- Loki licked his trembling lips. Fandral burst out laughing.- I'm serious, I...
- Torture you.- Fandral scratched his beard.- Oh Loki, that's a brilliant idea! I'll most definitely torture you. In the most cruel way, Loki... I'mma
hug you tight... and tickle you to death. Literally.
- Wha, tickling, again? Really, is it your fetish or something?- Loki smiled faintly, hoping Fandral would forget what exactly he had wanted to ask.
Fandral knelt down, lay his hand on Loki's knee, and gave it a pat. His eyes were wet with tears...
- Have I ever given you any reason not to trust me?- he whispered.- Have I ever hurt you, Loki?
- No.- Loki's voice cracked.- But you will. Cause I am the monster parents tell their children about.
- I...- Fandral was at a loss.- Oh boy.- he sighed.- You really...?- he took a sharp breath.- Oh Loki...
- I'm not what or who you think I am.- Loki said. Fandral squeezed his hand.- I'm a J-Jo... Jotun...
- Is that why you are crying?- Fandral breathed.
Loki sniffled. Fandral sat on the bed next to him.
- B... before you kill me... please, Fandral, I am...
- Shh! I'm not gonna kill you!- Fandral shook his head, wrapped his arm around Loki's waist.- Lo, Loki, I... I'd rather die, then hurt you, princeling!
- You don't understand it! You should hate me!
- Wha, because... Because an old man said that... Okay. Here me out. Blood never determines who you are. Blood determines blood. You're the only one, who can determine who you truly are, Loki!
- I don't get it! Fandral? Why don't you hate me?
- Why would I?- Fandral asked.- Loki, maybe...- he trailed off.- Listen. Laufey's son, Odin's son...- Fandral sighed.- A Jotun or an Æsir. Loki, you'll always be my prince. My king. My love. Always.
- Y-your... what?- Loki gasped. Fandral gulped.
- My Prince...? May I?- he whispered, leaning in.
- "May I" ... what?- the trickster asked. Fandral's warm, soft lips, suddenly pressed against Loki's.
Loki gasped... Squeezing his eyes shut, he opened his mouth slightly, letting Fandral's tongue in. It was his first kiss. Fandral cocked his head a bit.- Mmmmmm!- Loki moaned. The kiss was gentle! So gentle and it was the best both could hope for.