Chapter 4. A good deed, indeed

- Loki!- Fandral said.- Loki!- he repeated, louder.
Silence.- Loki? Please... I just want to talk! Lo, I...
- I know what you want.- Loki said.- But I can't...- he shook his head.- Fan, I can't tell you the whole truth. Not just yet. I don't... You must understand that I...- Loki trailed off.- We... You are my friend and I don't... And I don't want... to endanger you!
- Friend.- Fandral muttered.- Loki... Would you...
- Would I give you a second chance? Ugh, maybe.
Only if you truly loved me. Then, I think, I would.
- If?- Fandral gasped.- Is it what you think of me?
- I loved you! I idolised you! You were my world!- Loki whispered.- Even the monsters like me are...
- You're not a monster, Loki. How many times do I have to tell you, Lo? I love you for what you are!
- You do? After... After all this time?- Loki asked.-If I was not a prince, if... If I wasn't Laufey's son...
- I would love you nonetheless, of course I would! Æsir or Jotun, a prince or a commoner, a human, or a God, a man or a cat... I don't care! I love you!
- I...- Loki sniffled.- I think... I think I... Fandral...
- I know.- Fandral smiled.- See you after the trial.
- Yeah!- Loki said, disappointed.- After the trial...
***
Fandral left with a heavy heart. A strange feeling, a premonition, was killing him inside. Something was off. "Alright!"- he thought. "I will  find a safe place. I will be right back!"- but, damn, how very wrong he was. Muttering something to himself he went down the street. He had no idea where to go or what to do. But he kept walking until he heard a loud, horrifying scream. He followed the sound.
- My... daughter!- a man moaned. Fandral looked down. The man was on his knees, hands clutched to his stomach.- I beg you!- he gasped.- Help her!
***
The trial was about to begin! And Loki was alone! Scared. Fandral had yet to find a place to live. But then, again, what kind of a man would he be, if he left a child, poor, innocent child, in danger? So he followed the scream and it led him to a dark lane.
***
- You, son of a bitch!- Fandral hissed. He couldn't believe his eyes! Thor may have changed. But not that much! Right? Right? Yet there he was, Thor, the God of Thunder, the protector of Midgard, its mightiest hero, Thor... Raping a goddamn child...
***
- Told ya it'd hurt.- Thor said. The girl screamed.- Shhhh.- he whispered.- No one's gonna save you!
- Please!- she sobbed.- Please! It hurts! Stop! No!
- Hush.- Thor said. He lay his hand on her throat and squeezed it.- Too much talking.- Thor hissed.
- Stop! I'm begging! I... I'm begging you. Stop it...
- Oh, sweetness.- Thor smiled.- I have just begun.
***
Fandral stood, rooted to the spot. His eyes fell on the empty Vodka bottle on the ground. He took it in his hand. Slowly, very slowly approached Thor.
- Fuck yeah.- Thor groaned. Inhale. Fandral got a bit closer. Exhale. One hit... One hit from behind. It was enough to nock him out. Really. It's wrong. Something was wrong. No, rather everything was wrong but Fandral didn't care. He had no time to.
                          ***
The girl fell to her knees. Coughing, sobbing, hurt but alive. She was alive. Fandral helped her to get up. Her clothes were... No. Not the clothes. It was hard to call them rags, let alone clothes... were all torn apart. Sighing, Fandral took his cape off and wrapped it around the girl. He knelt down, wiped her tear away. Gods. She was about five years old.
- Hush there.- Fandral whispered.- It's over. Shh!
- He... He...- the girl sobbed. Fandral hugged her; he muttered soothing nonsense under his breath.
- Shhh. It's alright.- he said.- It's alright. It's over.
- Daddy...- the girl said. Fandral glanced at Thor.-Where's my dad?- she whispered.- Where is dad?
- I will get you to him, princess.- Fandral said. He took her hand in his; they headed back in silence.
- Can I... Can I trust you?- the girl asked, glancing back, as if expected Thor to appear in front of her and... She squeezed Fandral's hand.- I'm scared...
- Hey.- Fandral stopped, took her hand to his lips and looked into her red, puffy eyes.- Don't be.- he whispered, wiping her tear away.- Lok...- Fandral coughed.- Kiddo! I ain't gonna hurt you!- he said.
- And he...- the girl sobbed.- He, also... My neck...
- What is it, baby girl?- Fandral put his thumb on her neck. The girl whined.- Hey. I merely touched it.- he whispered.- Did he...- Fandral gulped.- Did he choke you?- he asked.- Don't cry... Look at me.
- Why?- the girl sobbed.- Why? Why did he do it?
- Shhhh!- Fandral whispered.- Hush, hush, hush! Don't cry...- he kissed her on the top of her head.- C'me on, girl. Let's go and find your father, okay?
***
- C-Cassy.- the man breathed, struggled to get up.
- Father...- Cassy shouted, running towards him.- Father!- she stumbled, fell down, got up and kept running.- Dad...- she whispered and knocked her father down, just as he finally managed to get up.
- Cassy!- tears of joy ran down his cheeks.- Cassy! Thanks God!- he sniffled.- Are you hurt, peanut?- he got up, and took the girl in his arms, clutching her to his chest. Cassy sobbed.- Hush... It's over...
***
Fandral gulped. Was the girl safe? She was... Was she reunited with her father? Aye. She was... Was it his fault she was raped? No. It wasn't. Didn't he help her? Sure. Then... why did he feel so uneasy?
He was about to leave when the man called him...
- Wait!- he said. Fandral turned to face him.- You saved her!- his voice cracked.- It... I will... I owe...
- No. You owe me nothing, mortal!- Fandral said.
- I do.- the man said. He took the wallet out of his pocket.- Here. I know, it's... It's not enough... But I ain't got no money.- he said.- One, two, three...- he muttered.- Three hundred bucks, dude. Sorry!
- No...- Fandral shook his head.- Don't. It's yours.
- I must try and repay you: you are the reason my daughter is alive.- the man said. Fandral grinned.
- Alright.- he said.- Let's suppose... I am not from here. My... Friend is not quite welcome here. And he is... Not from here either... So I was wondering if...- he took a deep breath.- I need a place to live!