Chapter 20 - You've got a friend in me

Zacznij od początku

"How come?" she tried to keep eye contact.

"I don't know... I guess that's what happens when a girl makes you nervous." shit, he thought. Why'd he say that? Now he wanted to run away and he almost did, but she grabbed his wrist and made him turn his head to her. 

"I make you nervous?" she asked, almost amused. The white haired girl stood up and kept her hand on his wrist.

"I... uhm..."

"Just messing with you." she hid her smirk and sat on the windowsill again, this time having her legs dangle off the edge.

He exhaled as if he's been keeping his breath in, then leaned against the wall next to her.

And so she began telling him a story.

It was something weird and random. Something about her being chased by a rabbit when she was younger? He didn't understand much.

But seeing her smile and the way she told the story, he could listen to her for hours.

He stayed silent for most of the time, but neither of them minded that. She didn't feel like she was too much with the talking and he didn't feel as though he was awkward.

Like two puzzle pieces, fit perfectly for each other.

Zella laughed as she finished telling another story.

"...and that was it. Izuku and I went home and couldn't stop laughing the whole way there." they were both now leaning over the windowsill and looked at the beautiful night sky.

When she became quiet again, he noticed how she would play with the hair tie on her wrist. Was she feeling down again? Should he ask?

"...Mikio?"

"Yeah?"

"Why do you always keep around a hair tie on your wrist? Even when you have one in your hair."

"I like to keep an extra one in case anyone needs it. I have a whole capsule of hair ties and other necessities on my belt on my hero outfit too. You never know when someone needs stuff and I'd hate to not have it when someone asks."

He admired how she could talk about helping people so easily. She was so incredibly nice, generous. Every second he spent with her, he was more amazed.

"I see." he managed to get out.

He wanted to say more.

Meanwhile, she was happy she had someone like him. She enjoyed the company, and she could use the break from Bakugo for example.

Todoroki was calm, barely spoke anything and was a great listener. It was just what she needed tonight.

Somehow, he got everything bad off of her mind without saying anything. And she couldn't wait to see what more was in store for this boy.

The blue eyed girl wanted to tell him anything and everything. And he wanted to hear her talk about anything and everything.

But how do they tell one another?

How do you simply tell someone you've known for a month, that you're crazy about them?

That you wanted to spend every second with them? Todorokis mind was all over the place, he could kiss her perfect lips right now.

"...You were humming something when I found you. What was it?"

"Just this song my dad used to sing to me whenever I couldn't sleep."

"You really miss your dad, huh?" Todoroki looked down. Of course she missed him, stupid.

"Yeah. But he's in a better place now. I just hope he's proud." she kept her eyes fixated on that single star, shining the brightest of them all.

"He definitely is. Mikio-"

"Micky."

"What?"

"Mikio makes it sound like we're strangers. My friends call me Micky." she smiled sweetly and he blushed.

"A friend." he's never had one of those before.

"O-okay. You have no idea how much I envy you, Micky. Whenever I see a smile on your face during a fight, I know it's over for the opponent." he looked at her even though her eyes were to the sky.

"Not because of the insane amount of skill you have, but because you have fun when doing it. And I don't remember much about Inazuma, but I'll never forget that exact same smile on his face right as he's about to put a villain to sleep." she turned to look at him, tears glossing her eyes. 

"You're incredible. Never doubt that he's smiling down on you, cause you're just like him and more."

Todoroki was caught off guard with a hug from his classmate. She sniffles and he pulled her in closer, making her nuzzle her face in his back.

"Thank you..." she whispered and he pulled away, gently stroking her sides and back as he looked deep into those eyes he always seemed to get lost in.

"I'm not the greatest at conversation... but you can always talk to me. I found your words at the sports festival calming, I wanted you to feel the same now that you're the one having troubles." he said as he gently put a strand of hair behind her ear.

That was the absolute sweetest thing anyone has ever said to her.

She smiled and they hugged again, this time looking out the window once more. Squeezing him a little tighter, she asked;

"Do you want to hang out tomorrow?"

And so the relationship between the introverted boy and extroverted girl changed forever.

~~~

So if you're lonely, Cause you gave me peace
no need to show me      and I wasted it
If you're lonely,
come be lonely with me

- F. Tokoyami      - T. Iida

~~~