七 : partner

" i see a little house,
on the hill,
and children names "
___________

"aish, look at all those girls hovering over nishimura." kana nudged her friend who was just deep in thoughts.

"eh?" yui snapped herself back to reality and turned to face her.

"come on yui. are you okay? you've been spacing out for the past 3 days. you didn't even bother defending yourself when your answer was correct too." kana hinted out her worried tone. "did something happen between you and him?" she whispered.

"oh no nothing. i mean of course not, what could possibly happen? me humiliating myself again?" yui shuddered from the sudden flashback. "ahhh why did i say that?" she whined wishing to reverse time.

"shhhh." kana quickly covered her friends mouth as she wasn't even listening anymore.

"what??" yui muffled under her palms to follow the direction kana was looking in.

"it's manabe. what is she doing here." kana whispered.

aiko manabe. known to be the most prettiest in the grade.

cliché.

just by staying silent, it was easy for the girls to eavesdrop their conversation.

"hey nishimura, you've heard about the spring dance right?" she asked with her dazzling smile.

"hm yeah." he merely nodded.

"i know you probably won't go but it wont hurt to ask." she was about to continue before he cut her off.

"I'm going this year." he casually implied making everyone whow as listening, stunned.

"y-you are?" some girls questioned back.

"you are?" his male friends asked back.

"he is???" both kana and yui instantly turned to face each other.

"yeah." he answered as if it was normal.

perhaps it WAS normal but, not for him. riki was never the biggest fan of events and parties held by the school and would often decline the offer so hearing such reply, was like a cultural shock.

"o-oh! i see." aiko's eyes lit up. as if her face wasnt already glowing enough, the way her face radiated energy was immaculate. "if you don't mind . . . will you be my dance partner?"

though it's stereotyped for guys to ask the girls, for the girls to ask the guys should not be something to be ashamed of.

however at this moment, yui knew she was done for. all those weeks, days, plannings- they were going to go to waste.

feeling slightly upset by the idea, she was ready to leave. no where to go, but a breather would help.

"sorry i already have a partner. though she doesn't know yet...should i ask her?" he asked rhetorically.

with anticipation filling the room, he turned his body a bit to face the girl packing up.

"yui! he's looking this way!" kana whispered but pretended to read her book.

"probably to rub it in my face." yui tried to remain calm.

but then,

"kimura, you lost the deal so i get to make one right?" he spoke regarding their Japanese test.

"and what about it nishimura." she sarcastically spoke despite feeling embarrassed.

"how about you be my dance partner?"

and with that, she instantly froze.

what?

did she perhaps hear wrong?

"yui?" he smirked with his head slightly tilted.

and so, this was when her world began really spinning.

[ ♡ ]

hey guys! yes it's still the same night where i have to do my maths exam tomorrow but i didn't want to be behind in schedule.

- luv, luna 🌙