"Ah, I heard of that scandal. I don't have a bad relationship with Lord Charles though, and I'd never be stupid enough to insult his fiancee. She's a very kind woman. Besides, Charles and I fought alongside in the war."

"You call him by his first name," she noted. "Well, that's good then." Lady Annabeth sighed in relief before shivering a little.

Percy pulled the curtains over the windows as best as he could to shut off any cold wind that could come in.

"Are you cold? I'm sorry, I don't have a blanket."

He threw his cloak around her shoulders. Alone in the carriage and unseen by anyone else, Percy could take some liberty by leaving his arm curled around her shoulders. If she disliked it or showed any signs of being uncomfortable, he would immediately stop.

"It's no matter. This is just as warm, Your Grace." Annabeth threw him an impertinent smile as she snuggled closer. His hand around her began tapping a rhythm on her upper arm.

"Annabeth."

Her eyes widened. "Why the sudden first name?"

"I assumed we were close enough to call each other by our first names now. Am I wrong?"

"No. You're not wrong...Percy." Her lips curled up. "Percy," she said again.

"Hmm?"

"Ah, just testing it out. I don't think I've ever called any other man by his first name besides my relatives. It's not something that I'm used to."

"I suppose you'll have to get used to calling your husband's first name one day."

Annabeth's grey eyes turned dark and stormy. "Husband..." She pursed her lips.

"Is everything alright?"

She slumped against his arm. "My parent received a marriage proposal for me. From Baron Rodrick."

"Oh." His fingers stilled their tapping for a second. "And did you accept?"

Annabeth gave him a wry smile. "What do you think? Do I seem even remotely inclined to the idea of having Baron Rodrick as my husband?"

That was true. A beautiful, smart, and capable woman like her standing next to that slob? Don't make him laugh. Percy pulled her towards him instinctively.

"Not at all. He's not even on your level. Far beneath it, actually."

"Thank you for your kind words. Luckily, my parents agree so they've declined it. But Baron Rodrick has the financial backing to push the Emperor into accepting."

"Your talent and personality would certainly be wasted under him."

She made a strange face. "Ugh, I don't even want to think about being under him."

His lips quirked up in one of those smiles that used to get him in trouble all the time. "Underneath him, you say?"

Annabeth gave him a mixed look of exasperation and amusement, but she took him by surprise by her next actions. Percy's breath hitched as she leaned in to whisper in his ear. "That's because I prefer being on top."

Her face was achingly close. Lips just a few inches away. And her eyes sparkled with self-satisfaction. Well, two can play this game.

Percy leaned forward towards her as well. His arm was around her shoulders, preventing her from leaning back too much. "And I favor both."

Run away. Run away, my lady. Before you get caught, he thought.

But Annabeth didn't pull back. Perhaps he should have expected that, since she didn't seem like someone who would back down from a challenge.