85 ; prefects' carriage

Start from the beginning

Physically, at least.

Swatting Abbott's book out of her hands as he passed her, Draco's arrogant nature made itself prominent as he strode over to where Y/N was sitting, taking the space next to her and placing a long kiss to her temple, his whole body pressed up against hers. She could feel the other student's stares as he pulled away, leaning back and slinging an arm across the back of the seats, his fingers mindlessly playing in her curls.

"There's a fine line between being confident and being vain, Draco," Y/N muttered, stuffing the papers back in her robe pockets and fitting comfortably into his side. She looked up at him to meet his bright silvery eyes, her brows raising in challenge.

Smirking and not missing a beat, he said, "And you have no problem with being the latter, now do you?"

Her eyes narrowed.

"Huh?" he said mockingly. Y/N's lip twitched.

"Shut up," she huffed, turning to the window. Draco chuckled, his hand across the back of her seat slipping around her jaw to turn her face towards his. He kissed her briefly, so much as to make her want more, but not too much to make the others in the carriage uncomfortable. He asked about her summer, prompting her to complain about her role in the magical world at the moment - feared and mostly avoided except by her friends and the village townies? Harsh world they lived in.

Ron and Hermione entered the carriage at last, the last ones in. They took the red seats across from Y/N and Draco, ignoring Draco as they made small talk with Y/N, describing the parts of summer at 'Snuffles' that she'd missed doing other things. It hadn't been long before the Head Boy and Girl addressed the compartment, describing to them their expectations as prefects, as well as privileges and schedules. Every night, from the start of underclassmen's curfew to an hour after the upperclassmen's curfew, they'd patrol their designated sites with their House partner until the hour was up, where they'd go back to their common rooms. It seemed as though the Slytherins had the short end of the stick, however, as Y/N and Draco received the grounds of the school, the sixth-year prefects got the seventh floor, and the seventh-years got the sixth floor. All places the furthest from the dungeons.

"I'm surprised you didn't complain about us having the worst patrol site of them all," Y/N teased Draco once they were let out of the carriage.

"Why would I complain about getting to spend more time with my dearest fiancé?" he mocked, leading her to the Slytherin compartments. She rolled her eyes as she joined Daphne, Pansy, Adelaide Murton, and Zoe Accrington, Draco taking the compartment across them with Theodore, Blaise, and Crabbe and Goyle (they were a joint pair).

"It's about time!" Pansy scoffed, checking her watch. Y/N checked hers; she'd only been gone an hour.

"Calm your tits," Y/N joked, taking a seat next to Daphne, who was wearing a new set of garnet jewels that complimented her skin well. No doubt it was from Theo — they, of course, had started dating. "So — how were your summers?"

Y/N didn't realize how much she'd missed her friends over the summer until they really got to talking, so much that they'd had to close their compartment door and pull down the curtains to prevent the boys from listening in. That didn't stop them from seeing their shadows hovering over their doors however, indiscreet as they tried eavesdropping on their conversation, which was, coincidentally, about them. A stern (and hilarious) talk from Pansy sent them running as she threatened to hex them, leaving them in peace for the rest of the ride.

Like their conversations, the weather changed quickly and indecisive as they rushed north. The wet windows soon dried with a swift appearance from the sun, before being shadowed by thick clouds. It became so dark that the lamps inside the carriages flicked on by themselves, creating an atmosphere so calm that it calmed the hypertalktive girls. Y/N chose to read, leaning against Daphne to get better access to the light in the corner of the carriage.

Twenty minutes from the school they started to get changed, and Y/N took off to fetch Goldfish from wherever Anthony had taken off to. She'd made it to his compartment on the other side of the train only to be told Draco had already taken her dog down the train, leaving her to groan aloud and leave to hunt for the dog-stealing Malfoy.

She'd found him on the other side of the train from Anthony's compartment, proudly showing Goldfish off as if he were his dog. Y/N had wanted to take Goldfish right from him, but decided to take Ares as her own instead in an attempt to get back at him. Ares hooted happily in his cage as Y/N swiftly moved him from Draco's compartment to her own, putting his cage atop her luggage and hoping the house-elves put him in her dorm instead of Draco's. Maybe that'd teach him a lesson.

At last the train began to slow and they heard the usual racket up and down it as everybody scrambled to get their luggage and pets assembled, ready for departure. Having to supervise all this, Y/N left her compartment and met a slightly-distressed Draco — she'd (satirely) asked him what was wrong, but he played it off and blamed it on not completing his Potions' homework.

"You know, if we're going to be married next year then you should probably stop lying to me," Y/N said, her voice completely serious despite her withheld giggles. He glanced at her poker face, his hands in his trouser pockets as they watched over the crowd of students and animals getting off the train.

"Fine," he muttered, pulling her out of the way of a third-year holding a rat cage above his head, "I don't know where my owl is."

"Ares?"

"No, Hades."

Y/N pursed her lips at him, rolling her eyes at his sarcasm.

"When was the last time you saw him?" she humored Draco, the slightest of smirks slipping onto her face.

His grey eyes glanced down her face briefly, his lips pulling down at the corners slightly. He wasn't that observant, was he?

"When the lanterns came on," he said, pausing to help a first-year whose trunk split open and spilled her belongings everywhere. He stood back up from his crouched position and Tte first-year had opened her mouth to thank Draco with flushed cheeks (Y/N could tell she found him hot — she did too, for the record) when Hermione came into view, prompting Draco to push the first-year along rather harshly, leaving the poor girl to stumble out of the train with her cat in her hood. Y/N slipped Draco's wand into her robe pockets discreetly, keeping it hidden behind her own wand as he retook his place next to her.

"Are you sure he's not still in there?" Y/N said, raising her brows when Draco looked at her. He sighed heavily and stalked back to his compartment, standing in the middle of it and looking around comically. He'd turned to say something to her when she hastily shut the door on him, double-locking it behind her and joining the crowd off the train. Her heart raced in her chest as she joined Daphne, Pansy, Adelaide, and Zoe once more, hiding in the crowd of students and hoping to Merlin that he took it as a joke.