BURNED BRIDGES IN A STARLESS NIGHT

En başından başla

"Hold on," Aldul said. "I think someone is coming."

The two watched as a shadow crept down the stairway wall till the figure of Nereus holding a glow worm lantern came into view. Even within The Gray, the site of the Erlking sent shivers down Rampart's spine. Physically, Nereus wasn't the most imposing figure, but his presence and pose drew fear from his enemies. He might as well been the size of the castle spires.

Nereus glided over to the sleeping guard and peered down with fire in his eyes. He reached down and gently shook the guards arm. The guard slowly woke and rubbed his eyes, when he looked up and saw who stood over him, he jumped to his feet so fast they hopped off the ground. "I'm sorry sir," he said with a trembling voice. "I wasn't aware you were coming down to see the prisoner, is there something I can help you with?"

Nereus' cold eyes bore into the guards. "Can you help me? I suppose you could. You see, in the cell behind you sits the most notorious traitor of our time. One of the leaders of the rebellious horde that has split our lands and watered our forest with loyal soldiers blood. So what I would like from the guard I put in charge of keeping this dangerous fae behind bars, is at the very least, to be able to stay conscious while on duty."

The guard shifted nervously. "Of course sir, I can't explain how sorry I am. It's just, the guy who usually relieves me took ill, and I've been down here for... you know what, it doesn't matter, it's no excuse."

"No it isn't," Nereus said. His hand waved over a cup the guard had his desk. A drop of water lifted from the cup and floated at the tip of his index finger. "And I'll look into getting someone to replace you." The water drop shot from his fingers like a bullet and sliced the guards neck. The guard dropped to his knees as blood poured from the wound. He made a few gasping noises before collapsing on the stone floor.

Rampart stood motionless. There had been many times he's been forced to kill fae soldiers on the battlefield, but it was never something he took lightly. It disgusted him how easily Nereus could turn on those under his rule.

Ozil glanced up at the Erlking. If he was disturbed by the display, It didn't show on his face. "You might want to be careful," he muttered with dry cracked lips. "If you keep killing your own men, there won't be anyone for us to fight."

The Erlking smirked. "No worries, we have plenty of fae still loyal to their king." He carefully stepped around the pool of blood growing on the ground. "I do find it amusing you still speak as if the little band of traitors are still a threat to my kingdom. In case you weren't aware, Coralina and what's left of your revolution were last seen running like scared roaches into the bushes."

Ozil chuckled. "As long as Coralina lives, there is still hope."

Nereus shook his head. "After a defeat, there are always little groups left to clean up. But if Coralina ever shows herself again, we'll easily eradicate what's left of your movement."

Rampart clinched his jaw. It was hard for him to stand there and listen to the Erlking's dismissive words. His emotions always were always close to the surface. At least in the Gray he didn't have to worry about saying anything stupid.

The veteran Ozil though gave no sign he was bothered by Nereus' threats. "Is that why you've come here in the middle of the night. To tell me you're not worried about Coralina anymore? It would seem something has kept you up."

Nereus narrowed his eyes. I come and go where and when I wish. But no, that's not why I'm here." He clasped his hands behind his back and looked down at the dead guard. "Do you know why this man died? It wasn't just because of his failure at his post, although that would have been enough reason. No, this was an action you've forced me into."

Ozil raised an eyebrow. "Me?"

"Yes. You were my right-hand man, the one person I trusted above all others. Together we kept this land in peace, no one dared step out of line, and they trembled as we walked by. Then, you did the unthinkable. You turned from your king when I needed you most. Instead of ending the revolution before it started, you helped spark it." Nereus straightened his back. "It occurred to me, perhaps I put too much trust in you, maybe I had been too lenient on the citizens. This man, and countless others have perished at the slightest hint of failing me to keep others from following your footsteps. So that no one would even dare to speak against me or risk the threat of death. All because of you."

Ozil didn't flinch. "Please, you and I know each other too well for me to believe that bullshit. How many times have you told me you felt slighted by the citizens of Faery Lands, and that you thought you deserved their love for the treaty with the jinn, not their ire." Ozil sneered. "You've wanted to be given an excuse to show your ruthlessness for years, and now you can use the revolt as a reason to punish those that don't give you their undying loyalty."

Ozil shifted and with effort clamored to his feet, his arms bent uncomfortably to his sides. "You can't hide it from me, I could see it in your eye when you killed the guard. You get a thrill from putting your boot on the necks of those around you, enemies and ally's alike. And this revolution has given you a chance to do it. If I didn't know better, I would say you were enjoying this war. However, I know what hides under that mask." Ozil lowered his voice to a growl. "Tell me, how has that holy fire been judging your actions, Nereus?"

Nereus jaw clenched. It was difficult to choose what irritated him more, the mentioning of his wound or the casual use of his first name. "Sounds like you know everything, do you?" He spat. "Well, here's something that may be news to you. Tomorrow I'm ordering every citizen in the capital to the town square. They will all celebrate as I announce the end of the revolution, and at the climax of the celebration I will hang you in front of everyone. In one short drop and sudden stop, you will become the sign everyone will remember as the end of the rebellion, and the unwavering strength of their Erlking." Nereus leaned close to the cell bars. "That, is what I wanted to tell you."

The two exchanged hard expressions before Nereus turned and headed back to the stairwell. The lantern light faded as he ascended.

Rampart moved next to Aldul, peeking up the spiral staircase to make sure the Erlking was gone. "Alright," he said, "now that the horrible conversation is over, let's break out the captain before he sends another guard down to replace the one he killed."