CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: Pay Your Dues

For the first time in over a decade, I could truthfully say that life was good. 

The months rolled on by, just like the waves we coasted upon, and I quickly found my place among the Whitebeard Pirates. I became a member of the Fourth Division, working under Thatch, much to Ace's dismay, but I found it easier following the pompadoured cook's lead.

If I had been in the Second Division, Ace and I would have constantly butted heads. Besides, it was put to a vote, and Ace was the only person who voted for me to join his group. Nobody wanted to deal with our clashing personalities on the battlefield on top of on the Moby Dick. 

There weren't really all too many fights to be had, thanks to how scared other pirates were of Pops, but even when we did fight, I had to rely on the others to protect me. I didn't like it, so I continued to train, to make sure that I could pull my weight. Sure, I wasn't the worst fighter, but compared to the rough, rugged pirates, I was pretty damn pathetic. 

As well as taking me under his brotherly pompadour for division duties, Thatch also welcomed me into his kitchen, which, according to the others, was quite an honour. Whenever I wasn't busy training, I did my best to help him out with meal prep, along with his cook underlings. Chopping vegetables, gutting fish, mountains upon mountains of dishes, the usual things a kitchen hand would do. Sometimes Thatch even had to chase me out with his cleaver, just so I wouldn't overwork myself. 

Any and all of my free time was spent with Ace, and those were my favourite moments, even though I would never admit it out loud. He would make the most mundane of days exciting just by being there, and he kept me on my toes with his feisty banter. I quickly came to enjoy the company of Marco, too. We had gotten off on the wrong foot, but once I gave him a real chance, we hit it off. 

"Wait. No way. Seriously, there's no way." Eyes almost popping with shock and confusion, I stared at the pineapple head, brows scrunching up. "You really think I'd believe you're old enough to be my dad? You're getting rusty, my dude." Smirking at my reaction, Marco leaned back in his chair, sweeping a hand over his blond tuft. 
"I know, I just get better looking with age, but as sure as water is wet, I'm forty three." 

Standing up and rounding the small table in the kitchen, I stopped beside him, leaning in close to hunt for any sign that we was telling the truth. 
"He's not lying, (Y/N)." Thatch chuckled, not even bothering to look up as he peeled potatoes for that nights dinner.
"I don't believe either of you. You're twenty, give or take. A baby. A child."

Snickering to himself, Marco decided to close a bit of the distance between us, winking to make sure he got me to fluster at least a little.
"Honey, I'm more than twice your age, but it's sweet of you to think I can pass for a youngster, yoi."

Shoving his face away with a faux snort of disgust, I gave his cheek a little pinch before Ace wandered in, stretching his arms above his head.
"We're about to pass by a cool looking island. Anyone wanna come check it out with me? Pops said we can't dock there."

Both Thatch and Marco shook their heads respectively, the latter rocking back in his chair to look at him properly.
"I'll pass. Today's a lazy day for me, yoi." He yawned, slowly returning his chair to fourt legs when Thatch gave him a stern look.
"I'm out too. Lots of prep to do to feed you sorry lot." He did more affectionately than sour.

Raising my hand like a child in a classroom, I smiled.
"I'll go. I got shunned from potato duty so I've got time to kill." It wasn't my fault that my method of peeling potatoes wasn't up to Thatch standards. How was I supposed to know he liked them peeled clockwise?

Grinning, Ace grabbed my wrist and tugged me towards the door, giving me no warning.
"Sweet! Off we go then!" I didn't even bother resisting. I was used to him dragging me around now, and I would have been lying if I had said it still pissed me off.

PELAGIC - Ace x Reader x LawOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara