CHAPTER THREE: Stance

A week passed by, and I quickly learned my place amongst the Dadan Family.

I happily completed any chores that were given to me, be it sweeping, laundry, collecting water for baths, or helping prepare dinner. It was definitely more than what the three boys did to contribute. They often jetted off early in the morning, leaving me behind to take on their work load.

I didn't mind earning my keep. It was fair, and relatively easy, but it really ticked me off that whenever I so much as questioned where they were going, Ace would tell me to shut up, or that it was none of my business.

Sabo and Luffy were nice to me, for the most part. Sure, at times they followed along with whatever Ace said, but I could tell they didn't resent me like he did. Luffy even picked out which of his shirts I would wear each day, which I found funny.

One morning, I woke up before them, as usual, heading out to feed the dog and get some me time in before starting my chores, but it seemed we had company. A large, intimidating looking man was standing out front, conversing with Dadan. I recognised his uniform immediately.

He's a Marine...

Hiding in the doorway, I peaked out, trying to avoid making myself known, but his eyes quickly darted to me, and he pointed a finger.
"Who's the girl?" Freezing, I looked to Dadan, who motioned for me to approach, and I hesitantly complied.

Had she called him to take me away? No, she was a criminal. There was no way she would have willingly invited a Marine here. Were we all in trouble?
"Garp, this is (Y/N). She's the one the boy's brought here that I mentioned before. (Y/N), this is Garp. Luffy's grandfather, and a royal pain in my ass." She poorly covered that last part with a cough, but the man ignored it, nodding to me.

"Heard you were in quite the mess. Where'd you come from?" It wasn't unlike a Marine to start with questions off the bat, but I stuck to my story, despite him being intimidating.
"Here and there." I didn't owe him an explanation, and he seemed to catch on to my secrecy, though he didn't hound me about it. 
"That so? I'm a here and there man, myself. Are the boys awake? It's time for training."

Training?

Glancing back over my shoulder to the house, I shrugged, eyes lowered to his knees when I turned back.
"They weren't when I came out. I don't really wanna wake them because Ace'll yell at me." I responded, scuffing the ground with my bare foot. "Uh, Dadan, do you want me to go start on the laundry?"

I just didn't really want to be around anyone like Garp. Considering he was related to Luffy, I was sure he wasn't all that bad, but he still scared me a little.
"How about you come watch me whip those brats into shape instead, huh? I'm sure Dadan wouldn't mind you shirking your duties today?"

Oh, I saw the look on his face when he turned to the woman for confirmation. It was an 'I'm not asking, I'm telling' kind of look. I knew that well, and it seemed she did too with the way her jaw tightened.
"Meh, why the hell not? You've been working harder than all of us, anyway." She sighed, waving the two of us off before turning to head inside. "I'll get the little shits out of bed."

Now alone with Garp, I didn't know quite what to do or say, so I stood there for a while until I decided upon something.
"You, um, said training, right? What are you training them for?" I asked, mildly curious, and his sterness gave way to a proud grin, one which made him seem far less frightening.

"To be Marines, of course! Runs in the family! I drop by every chance I get to make sure they're on the right track." He explained, and I nodded along awkwardly. Did he know they all planned to be pirates, or..? Something told me that he did, considering it was all they ever really talked about.