Finn cocks his head to the side, gazing at me, his little brows pulled together tightly over his eyes. Then, as matter-of-factly as a toddler can, he answers me.

"Because Mommy doesn't like you."

My jaw manages to drop even lower, though Finn doesn't notice, too preoccupied with the structure he's started to build. Taken aback, I blink a couple of times, placing the drawing to the side, before I can compose myself enough to re-engage with him.

But as I'm asking what he's building and where each block should go next, I'm really wondering what the hell he's talking about.

I could tell Laura wasn't happy to see me at Luke's - but to dislike me? Enough that even Finn knows?

What did I ever do to her?

With only a toddler to provide me answers, I'm left with nothing. Nothing except an innocent admission from poor Finn. Doing my best to tuck it away, I tell myself it's really the least of my problems right now, anyways.

It could just be misunderstanding, for all I know...

By the time there's another knock at the door, Finn and I have built and destroyed two block towers, danced to three songs, and read through part of Finn's favorite story. Thoroughly spent after an extra long day, I'm almost relieved to see Luke and not Laura at the pick-up door.

One more dirty look might just send me over the edge this afternoon.

"Uncle Luke!" Finn throws himself around Luke's legs in his usual fashion and Luke flashes me a sheepish grin.

"Sorry that I'm late again, Miss Dylan." He picks Finn up, ruffling his hair in a way that makes him squeal.

"Don't worry about it." I poke Finn in the belly. "We had fun. We always do."

It occurs to me that I could ask Luke what Finn was talking about. I almost do, before Luke speaks and distracts me.

"You never called after..." He looks down at Finn, already tucked against his shoulder and ready to fall asleep. "Well, you know. You never called."

"Yeah," I sigh, pushing my arms through the sleeves of my cardigan. "I know."

It was never like Luke to need assurances after a hook-up. I know this time was different, but isn't that exactly why he shouldn't have expected anything from me afterwards?

"You're okay though?" Luke asks, eyes searching my face for the truth.

I stare back, feeling completely torn. On one hand, I want to tell him everything, like I used to be able to. I want him to make me feel better, like I know he could before. And on the other... I can't tell him any of it and he'll never be able to make me feel better, not really. Not anymore.

Too tired to lie though, I shrug my shoulders lamely. "Not really, but it isn't your fault."

Or it is. But it doesn't matter anymore. I'm the idiot who keeps getting tangled back into him.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He murmurs, stepping out of my way so I can lock up the room.

"With you?" I ask, unable to help myself. Guilt washes over me quickly and I shake my head, glaring at my feet as we walk down the hall.

Wasn't I the one that went to his studio? I guess I can't be mad that he has some sort of hopes now.

"Right. I get it." Luke speaks over Finn's head. "But the offer's there... If you ever change your mind."

"Thanks." I mutter, coming to an awkward stop as he approaches his truck. "I'll um... I'll have your shirt washed and back to you soon."

"Oh, don't worry about it. I've got literally hundreds." He chuckles before meeting my eyes, his own eager and full of hope. "I guess you don't want a ride home, then?"

Doing what I do best, I turn him down. "I'm going to the beach, actually."

His eyes widen and I notice the concern immediately.

"Just to think." I reassure him quickly. I hadn't planned on a beach trip, but maybe the sound of the waves will clear my head. Plus, I don't want a ride and I don't have a good reason for not taking it.

And I'm still kind of avoiding Grams.

My head spins, a pounding headache brewing at the base of my skull.

"Okay." Luke says finally, getting Finn into his car seat before looking down at me again. He takes a step forward and I freeze, the air turning electric as he gets closer to me.

I wonder if he'll kiss me, if he'll try anything of the sort. Some stupid part of me hopes he does.

The other part tells me to back up, put some distance between us.

But I don't listen.

And, to my idiotic hearts dismay, Luke doesn't try to kiss me. Stopping just a few inches in front of me, he barely smiles, concern narrowing his eyes as he looks at me.

"Look, I'm going to ask you something and I know you'll want to say no. So..." He chuckles to himself, a casual eye roll thrown in, "So don't give me an answer just yet, okay?"

"Luke..."

"My parents are having a cookout this weekend." He talks over me. "You know how they are, all the food and games and stuff."

A cookout?

I do remember the famous Henson cookouts - they were part of why summers were so fun. And part of why being Luke's girlfriend was so cool. Everyone wanted to be invited, partly because we used to sneak alcohol and run off to the beach as they wound down... but still. The food was great, his pool was awesome...

"Luke," I mumble again, practically hearing he and Casey laughing loudly over a game of pool volleyball.

"Look," Luke continues quickly. "They've become pretty boring now that everyone's all grown up. I was just thinking... it'd be a lot more fun if you were there with me."

With him? Like... with him-with him?

"I don't -" I try to argue but Luke places a long finger over my lips, stopping me mid-sentence. The contact sends a shiver down my spine, the hairs on my arms standing up as my skin gets hot.

He shakes his head, dimples deepening as he gives me a trouble-making smile. "That's why I said not to answer right now." He leans in closer so his breath tickles my ear. "Think about it and then call me."

He drops his hand, leaving me standing like an idiot, butterflies swarming in my belly, and hops into his truck.

Dumbly, I shake my head as he starts his engine. "I deleted your number a long time ago."

Luke laughs once, facing me through his open window, not in the least bit offended. He winks confidently.

"Then I guess you know where to find me instead."

thanks for reading! remember to vote if you liked it :) what does Finn mean about Laura not liking Dylan?predictions for this cookout?

what does Finn mean about Laura not liking Dylan?
predictions for this cookout?