16. Kids Certainly Don't Contain Filters

Start from the beginning

“You really want to know why I stopped calling?” he growled out.  “Because I knew what was happening, Hattie.  I knew that the naïve, fifteen-year-old girl I’d been talking to for months thought I was feeling something toward her other than friendship.  I thought I’d be polite in just stopping all communication.  I saw it before then, Hattie.  You think I didn’t?” 

I swallowed hard, trying to stop my tears from falling before they did.  It didn’t work.  “You asshole.  You’re the one who strung me along.”

My tears didn’t seem to affect him.  “Yeah?  Well, you were stupid in thinking that anything would happen between us.”

“Get out,” I whispered, brushing past him to get to the door.  “Leave.  Right now.”

“I’m not leaving yet, Hattie,” Drake growled out, grabbing me by the arm and spinning me around.  “You’re not having the last word.”

“Yes, I am!”

“No,” he said, yanking me up against him.  “You’re not.”

I tried to push him away, slamming my hands against his chest.  “Let go of me, Drake, or so help me…”

“Don’t expect any more communication from me.”

“I’m used to being disappointed, Drake,” I said.  “Now, let go and get out.  And good riddance.”

He pulled on my arm again, but I was finally able to yank it out of his grasp.  My other hand lifted and, before I realized what I was doing, swung forward, slapping him across the face. 

Neither of us moved – Drake with his clenched jaw, fists back at his side, and me with tears welling up again as I rubbed my arm.  When his eyes fell to the bruise that was quickly forming, matching his handprint perfectly, he took a step forward, finally knocking out of whatever trance he’d been in.

“Hattie…”

“No,” I whimpered.  “Don’t you dare touch me again.  Just leave, Drake.”

“I’m not leaving.”

“Leave!” I cried.  “I hate you so much!  Just go!”

“No.”

Beyond frustrated, I lunged toward him, shoving him against his chest.  He barely moved, though, taking it. 

“I hate you, you stupid bastard!  Just get out of here!  Leave!  I don’t want you!  I can’t believe I fell in love with you.  I can’t believe I still love you, even after…”

One hand came up and caught onto mine while another reached up, fingers weaving through my hair and pulling my face upward.  And before I could start screaming at him again, he cut me off by pressing his lips to mine in a hard kiss.

My first kiss.

I breathed in sharply, eyes wide and tear-filled, before my legs all but gave out from under me.  Drake’s arm was quick to catch me, letting go of my hands and wrapping around my waist.  His other hand held the side of my face, fingers in my hair, holding me close.  He wasn’t going to let go anytime soon.

It was then that I let my eyes close as my hands reached up to his face.  The kiss softened as he moved his lips over mine, easing me into one that went farther.  His tongue traced between my lips, asking for permission.  I responded with probably too much enthusiasm from my chuckle that reverberated through his chest.