zero. message in a bottle

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

STUPID BOY , exileprker 000

000. message in a bottle.

           IT WAS AS IF all the air in the world had been ripped from her lungs, her lips running dry and crackling under her gasping breaths. She could feel her chest closing in, or what felt like it, and could hear only the ringing of voices echoing around her as she ran to get away.

His lips were on another, while hers were bleeding.

The girl scattered away from the unpleasant, nauseating scene, heading straight towards the bathroom and kicking the door open as her chest heaved and her hands scratched at her throat, pleading for air.

She couldn't breathe, why couldn't she breathe?

Her hands landed on the chipped white tile of the bathroom sink, staring at her self in the dirty, clouded mirror. Her reflection stared back at her, blurry and messy. Her tears were streaming, causing her vision to resemble the fogginess of the mirror displayed in-front of her, a never-ending waterfall blinding her.

Spin the bottle was a game designed to worsen the heartache and burden of those facing the trembling weight of unrequited love. It was a game of luck, and a ploy of trauma stuffed inside the small, green, translucent bottle that rested in the center of the group, and that had landed on none other than Scott McCall.

But it wasn't Violetta Love that had spun it. Instead, it was Cassie Rivers. The blonde girl in her science class that wore those stupid headbands with those stupid ribbons. She had eyes the color of the sea, and hair as bright as the sun reflecting off of it. She was also the girl that had caught Scott's attention for that month—how unfortunate for Lettie.

After watching Cassie spin the bottle, her body leaning forward and causing her chest to spill from the pink cami top she wore above her black, pleated skirt, the bottle landed on the shaggy haired, thirteen year old seated in between Violetta and the other member of their trio, Stiles Stilinski.

Lettie turned and noticed the way the tan of his skin heated, turning into a beautiful pink color that Lettie absolutely adored—especially when she was the cause of it. And then it happened.

The girl and the boy scooted closer together from opposite sides of the circle, leaned in . . . and that was the moment Violetta Love felt her heart plummet to the ground and completely shatter.

Forced to watch as the boy she loved—her boy—experienced his first kiss with someone that wasn't her, left her chest tightening and the weight of all sadness falling onto her shoulders, crushing her lungs and leaving her breathless.

Lettie stood up so fast it made her head rush, but she payed no mind as she ran as quickly and frantically as she could for the nearest bathroom. Stiles Stilinski watched her from his seat, his face soft and confused, worry for his friend evident in his sharp features that were hidden behind the beauty of his delicately placed moles. As the cheers and hollers of the group of thirteen year olds only increased as the kiss continued, the boy with a buzzcut rose from his seat to chase after the girl he only ever wanted to protect from the world that had always been so viciously cruel to her.

In the bathroom furthest from the basement in which the group resided, Lettie began panicking. Her heart raced, skin paled, and grip on the sink tightened as she stared down at the white tile of the sink, her tears filling it up like a running bathtub. She couldn't hear the knock at the door, as her ears continued to ring, the image burning into her mind and replacing all the fantasies she dreamt of involving her made-up life with Scott McCall.

She sobbed, unable to move as she held the sink as if it were a lifeline, silently praying it would snap and she would fall to the same fate her biological parents did.

Instead, the bathroom door that she thought she had locked, but hadn't as her tears blinded her sight, opened, revealing the buzzcut boy, a look of worry cemented onto his face as he stared at her trembling figure. "Lettie . . ." he whispered her name so delicately, as if he were to speak any louder, the string that she barely held onto would tear, along with the last ounce of hope she had for happiness. Stiles stepped forward, engulfing the girl in a hug as she turned, burying her head into his chest and watching as her tears stained the new Star Wars shirt he had boughten after learning he was invited to a party. "Breathe, Lettie. It's okay, I got you," he whispered into her dark, curly hair that Scott never admired as much as he should have.

The girl continued to cry until her breathing evened, and her body no longer shook beneath his hold. She stepped out of his grasp in order to wipe her eyes and tear stained cheeks. "I'm sorry . . . I don't know what came over me," she apologized, unable to look in the mirror and see herself. She was embarrassed.

Stiles stepped forward, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. "I'll never understand why you love him as much as you do. He's an idiot, Lettie. And I'm saying that as his best friend," he lightly chuckled, hoping his joke was enough to take part of her mind off the situation. It proved useful as a small smile appeared on her chapped, bitten lips that tasted of watermelon chapstick.

Her smile then faded, instead being replaced with a frown as she stared at the floor, her purple converse shoe that she got to match Stiles' twisting into the ground, as if digging herself a hole so she could climb into. "He's never gonna like me back. I think—I think I finally see that now."

The boy before her wanted to storm back down into the basement, drag Scott by the ear and force him to apologize to the innocent girl in front of him. Lettie had already been through so much, yet the heartbreak caused by the McCall boy was a whole other level of pain that would always linger in her stares as he spoke of another girl. "He will someday. I think he just just needs to cut his hair so he can finally see what's in front of him."

Lettie laughed, a sound as angelic as her smile that gave anyone who saw it a taste of heaven, her skin brightening and creating a glow that left even the sun envious. She truly was stunning, and it was a shame the one person she wanted to see it, was too blind to notice. Too wrapped up in the horns of the devil to see the halo of the angel before him.

But even with a game as grisly as spin the bottle, Lettie never truly grasped the fact that Scott McCall would never return her feelings of overwhelming adoration, until it was too late.

━━━━━━━

AUTHOR'S NOTE !
sign to join the lettie protection squad, the founders are stiles stilinski and myself —->

but how we feeling about this book so far? i honestly love it sm and lettie has my entire heart <3