教訓 ∙ 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐬

Start from the beginning

The public couldn't afford to wobble on the issue. On one side, were the forgivers, who threw all blame on the childhood events, Mitsuo Sean's family, and their forced criminal labor. And on the other, those who did not believe there should be mercy for murderers.

As it went, some adamantly refused to support their input, but attorneys owned the ghost gang big time on the trials, often using the words unforeseen circumstances, desperate straits. Jieun didn't make things easier either by spacing out or showing that she didn't give two craps about the public's opinion; rubbing her temples and rolling her neck when her muscles began to ache for the longer she sat there. 

From the corner of the room, Jieun spotted Lee Jinhyuk listening to everything, her newest grandfather, so it seemed. She heard the version of his story the first time he made a visit and tried her best to stay silent to avoid saying what she really wanted to say to him, uncaring who he was, what he owned, or how much money he had to offer. 

The truth was, the resentment was too deep to make room for forgiveness. Hell, this man should have moved heaven and earth, print her picture in every newspaper in the world if he really wanted to find her, but no. He didn't and gave up looking. 

Either way, Jieun was compelled to accept his help. Jungkook's words had been ringing inside her head. She knew the last thing she needed was to listen to anything he say, but these were one of the times to be smart and swallow the pride once and for all.

A clearing of the throat snapped her back to her senses as she glanced idly at the man in front of her.

"Be standing in the court!" cried the bailiff. 

With infinite and insolent slowness, Jieun complied. 

"The court is thoroughly reviewing the record concerning defendant's trial, including both the guilty and penalty proceedings as well as the memorandum submitted by the state and the defense. It also assessed how the aggravating factors the jury found to exist beyond reasonable doubt and the mitigating circumstances established by the evidence..." 

Jieun stared down at her handcuffed hands, interlacing her fingers as the judge boomed over the few people in the cold courtroom, his loud voice bouncing off the walls.

"... the court acknowledges that this waiting is not a quantitative comparison but instead requires a qualitative analysis..."

Her head lifted; Jieun felt the speech was going to be ending soon and for that reason, she ventured one last glance to her side, knowing exactly who she'd find looking back at her. 

Jungkook wasn't present in her trials. He took to heart the request about her not wanting to see him again, yet for this particular one, he couldn't just not show up. It infuriated her, but very deep down, she felt a little glad to take a glimpse of his face in midst of so much chaos in her mind. Even in the situation she was in.

"The court finds that the jury's recommendation sentence is consistent with its verdict based on the evidence presented and the appropriate penalty." The judge paused, released the paper he was holding, and reached for his gavel. "I hereby sentence the defendant to fifteen years in prison."

A deathly hush fell. Jungkook was good at not exposing what he was feeling, and to a lot of people in that room, it looked as if the last words didn't affect him at all. Jieun thought she had unlearned to decipher, especially after him—not this time though. The utter pained look in his gaze said it all. He was devastated. 

No, not her. 

Jieun had been training herself to expect for the worse since forever. There was never luck in her life and she definitely didn't deserve it.