Truth hurts

Juno was nervous. It'd been a while since she'd been to an event like this. The last time had been as a favor for Tony a year ago. She knew all of the correct things to talk about and how to behave. That wasn't the problem. The problem was she was expecting the inevitable personal questions from people who thought they had the right to ask all because she was a public figure. Thankfully her friends had made sure that at least one of them was with her at all times to run interference. So she took photos with fans and people who claimed to be who really just wanted to say that they had rubbed elbows with an Avenger. Whether she was currently one or not. Juno slapped her beaming public smile on her face and silently suffered.

Henri had been her main lifesaver. Sticking by her side when Charlie was off being his social butterfly self or Tom had to go off to make some work connections. He made sure she was comfortable and made sure she ate and drank something while stirring the conversation away from Bucky. Although the downside of his help was that everyone began assuming they were dating. They all just thought she was trying to save Bucky any potential heartbreak by denying a relationship with him.

Needing a break from the press of the crowd, Juno snuck off by herself. All she needed was 10 minutes to just breathe. Making sure she wasn't followed she glanced behind her as she turned a corner of the garden, tightening her jacket around her to ward off the chilly air. Spying a bench, Jun made her way over and sat down. Slipping off her heels she stretched out her cramping toes and let out a sigh of relief. She tipped back her head and closed her eyes to let the last bit of warmth from the fall sun kiss her face.

A few minutes passed before her quiet was interrupted. "There you are. I thought you had completely abandoned me to the horde." Opening her eyes she saw Henri make his way over to her slipping on his jacket over his tux.

Grinning Juno patted the bench. "No, I just needed a breather. Sit with me?" Striding over, he did as she asked and nudged her shoulder with his as he settled next to her. He tipped his head back and closed his eyes, smiling as he copied her. Juno closed her eyes again and asked "Wanna get out of here?"

When Henri didn't immediately answer she cracked open her eyes to see him looking at her. "Really, you would leave in the middle of the party?"

Grinning with excitement she nodded. "Without hesitation."

His smile widened at her eagerness for ditching the stuffy party. "Alright, let's do this. Where are we going?"

Slipping her heels back on she stood up with her hands on her narrow waist. "Literally anywhere else." She held out a hand for him. Smiling when he took it, Juno pulled him up. "I think I saw a servers back way out of here. Once we're out we'll have to be quick otherwise we'll be trapped here until we die of boredom."

He snorts out a laugh at her dramatics, but follows her anyway. Henri checks over his shoulder to make sure they leave unobserved by the other guests. "Is this what you did on missions when you needed to make a hasty getaway?"

"Oh, I never had to make a hasty retreat on a mission to a gala or a party. Those were cake. I just walked out the front door. Eight out of ten times I never even had to use my abilities." She tells him with a smirk of pride. Juno was the best of those kinds of missions right behind Nat. "The trick is to walk don't run. Act casual and cool, smile and wave." Which she does as they go past the wait staff in the kitchen never once rushing.

Keeping his hand in hers they head outside and flag down a cab. Laughing they get in and tell the cabbie to drive looking back to see that they made it free and clear. Henri gives the man their address. "I figure we can get into more comfortable clothes and relax with a bottle of something stronger than the champagne we've been sipping on all afternoon." He tells her when she raises an eyebrow at him.